MMMmmmm...sauce

L

LittleDick'sBBQ

Greetings,

Just whipped up a pot o' BBQ sauce. Boysenberry! I have to say, you KNOW it's a good batch when you lick the pot after it's bottled! Mmmm...!

Little Dick

brisket schmoke Saturday!

I looove boysenberry almost as much as blackberry. So, what I wanna know, Dick, is are you in a sharing mood??? Would love to see the recipe for this! :wink:

Little Dick's "Sweet Heat" Boysenberry BBQ Sauce

I looove boysenberry almost as much as blackberry. So, what I wanna know, Dick, is are you in a sharing mood??? Would love to see the recipe for this! :wink:

tish,

ALWAYS willing to lend a hand. Here's my (rough) recipe:

3 cups tomato ketchup
1 cup spicy mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh brewed espresso coffee (yep!)
1/2 cup seedless boysenberry jam
1/2 cup dark molasses
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, chili pepper, black pepper, cumin, kosher salt (adjust to taste)
? squirts sriracha sauce

Mix it all together in yer sauce pot over low heat. I like to stir with a whisk and a rubber spatula (to scrape the sides). The longer is simmers, the more it reduces (and the thicker the sauce will be).

Notice there is a lot of sugar in this "recipe." As other Brethren have said, sugary sauces will burn if applied in a hot (250F and above) cooker. Best to apply to resting meat after the cook.

Thanks tish for finally getting me to commit this to writing. Bear in mind, the ingredient amounts can and DO vary. Sometimes I'll add honey; sometimes schmoked paprika. If I've got time, I'll start by sweating chopped onion, garlic (leaving the onion powder and garlic powder out), and canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. After adding the ketchup, mustard, and some other binding ingredients, I'll hit it with a hand blender ("soup stick') and then STRAIN it (unless you want a mouthful of chili shrapnel!). The butter adds good mouth feel and gives the sauce a nice gloss.

Thanks for looking.
Little Dick

Back