Whole Corned Beef Brisket questions

Limp Brisket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I bought a 13lb corned beef brisket (packer) from RD a few days ago. It doesn't have all the seasonings in it or a packet. It is definitely pink, though. I'm debating how to do this, I've always just done the small corned beef brisket pieces that you buy from the local grocery store and done them in the crock pot.

I can boil,braise in a foil pan, I can smoke it for pastrami, I might even be able to steam it in my CVAP (it's not a cook and hold version).

Should I soak it in water first? Should I add some seasonings to it? I've googled some recipes/procedures but would like to hear from you guys on what you recommend as far as procedure and method.

I'd like corned beef that isn't salty and I'd like to cool the leftover and put it on my slicer for sandwiches.

I do a soak-out on all corned beef, store-bought or home cured. When I make corned beef I add Penzey's Corned Beef seasoning, which is basically a pickling spice. For pastrami I use a mix of my garlic pepper seasoning and pastrami seasoning.

For cooking, I have nothing against braising a corned beef but I have better control by using a pressure cooker. Of course a pastrami gets smoked first, and again my favorite finish is a pressure finish, next would be a steam finish. If you are into sous vide, I cook corned brisket flats at 145° for 45 hours. No, that is not a typo. :shocked:

Have you decided to cook the entire brisket one way? If not, why not cut it in half lengthwise (so you have point and flat on each half) and cook one as corned beef and one as pastrami?

MnN1tcZ.jpg

Spot on, thank you. How long of a soak out? Yes, I told my wife I thought I was going to split it down the middle and do two different ways. I have a brisket to cook this weekend so I’ll throw the other half of the corned beef in there as well for pastrami. Thank you for your advice!

I thought about making my own this year when I saw how all the store bought meat was injected, and very expensive. Always was great info here! :thumb:

I thought about making my own this year when I saw how all the store bought meat was injected, and very expensive. Always was great info here! :thumb:

The processors inject and immerse (in giant vats) to save time, well actually 'curing time' which speeds up their turnover. They also use a stronger brine, which also reduces curing time. And... when they package the corned beef there is still some residual brine (or slime depending on how you look at it) in the packages. They don't tell you how long the process takes but I bet it's just a number of days.

On the other side of the spectrum, using a weaker brine and maybe injecting it as well if you have thicker meats, will let you brine cure for 10 or more days, and your product is not as harsh as some store bought corned meats. When I brine cure I like Pop's Brine for this reason. It has a 10 to 20 day range for briskets.

Back