smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ive dubbed it "hot & slow"

Its important when developing a personal bbq style to do things that are comfortable and repeatable. Taking into account my flavor preference, sleep schedule, and when i like to eat brisket ive tailored a way of doing things that not only produces a great brisket but keeps the whole process enjoyable.

I much prefer Q from the stick burner but am not a fan of the all nighter. I also would rather eat brisket earlier than in the evening so starting early in the morning and running hot isnt best for me. In questing for a tender juicy brisket i was intrigued by how top Q joints hot hold their food for long periods. Soon the logical plan (for me) started to form.

The method is simple. After 4-6 hours on the offset, when its time to wrap, foil, or pan i switch over to the oven. This allows for 2 crucial things. 1st is sleep. I just feel better when i get some. I enjoy relaxing by the cooker having a beer but not until the sun comes up. 2nd is i can go low, giving time for the magic to happen. The okie joe just doesnt hold 225 very well for me. I get up early and check on it. Its not much for me to do as i tend to stir about every few hours anyway. Once its tender i can turn the oven down to hold for a few hours then rest in a cooler until lunch.

Heres the 14+lbs brisket i did last night.
20151016_200156_zps7lj8ycd5.jpg~original

I dont usually get them this big, it was a beast. I used my signature rub on it.

Ninja's Flash Powder
1 part Kosher salt
1 part coarse salt
3.5 parts Coarse black pepper
1 Lemon pepper
1 turbinado sugar
1 smoked paprika
.5 chipolte
.5 cayenne

A nice oak fire, wood courtesy of DD. I tried to maintain 275-300 on the dial.

20151016_201000_zpsoinuapg8.jpg~original

After 5 hrs i had enough...and so did the brisket. Time to wrap

20151017_005708_zpsbklklolu.jpg~original

This time i used butcher paper. Ive had good results recently using a covered pan. It could be wrapped however you want, i suppose it doesnt have to even be wrapped.

I run 225 until it just starts to get tender than drop it down to 200 until i like it. Ill hold it at 180 for an hour or so before transfering immediately to a cooler where it can easily hold another 4 hrs.

20151017_123717_zpsbho6sodw.jpg~original

20151017_123950_zpsl4deq8gj.jpg~original

The slow finish really gives a large window of perfection.

This way works for me. Its repeatable and more importantly its a process i can enjoy, one that fits my life. That is my advice, find what works for you and keeps you happy. Be it this way or your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that looks good! Got a question tho. I've only cooked 3 briskets. each one turned out to have spots that pulled apart like a roast! this seems to be one solid chunk of meat without that pulling. Can running a higher heat cause this?

Man that looks good! Got a question tho. I've only cooked 3 briskets. each one turned out to have spots that pulled apart like a roast! this seems to be one solid chunk of meat without that pulling. Can running a higher heat cause this?

It could. At higher temps a few spots may overcook causing it to shred. Also make sure you have a proper sharp knife, a dull knife can tear things up.

It could. At higher temps a few spots may overcook causing it to shred. Also make sure you have a proper sharp knife, a dull knife can tear things up.

Yeah my knife normally sucks. And there's been a few times I've had a pretty high temp spikes using my stickburner so I could pretty much say its possible

I learned by pure accident that the long hold seems to work magic. So now it is part of my cooking plan and does allow for a larger window of "opportunity" to get it right. It does seem that some guests expect to actually get a glimpse of the beast on the cooker but unless they get there really early, that doesn't work so good for timing.

Ninja sounds like your the man with a plan. If something works why change it...
I have a Longhorn and they are a lot of work maintaining. Split about every 25 minutes.
Nice Brisket cook!

Killer! I've been thinking about using my kettle for the first several hours to get a good smoke profile, then transferring to my Traeger for a "set it and forget it" finish.

rough estimate how long is it in the oven? I am really liking this idea:clap2:

This cook was from 8:00-01:00am burning sticks then from 01:00-08:00 @225 in the oven then from 08:00-10:00 @200. So thats 9 than 2 more hours on low, which is 180. From noon to two it was wrapped in foil and towels then parked in the cooler.

Thats 18 hrs from putting it on to slicing.

The best part of this method is the timeline can be stretched or compressed however is needed by raising/lowering temps or times of any part of the process.

Back