MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shakar View Post
First time posting and a total beginner when it comes to smoking.
Something I would suggest is that you sign up for "Smoke 101" class at Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave. Next class is January 20th from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. The owner Chad Franks is the son-in-law of Don Schmidt, one of the owners of Kreuz Market in Lockhart. Class includes brisket and all the beer you can drink. Topics are types of smokers, buying a brisket, trimming, seasoning, cooking, resting, slicing, etc. Class is $75. By the time you drink $75 worth of beer the class is essentially free.

I learned a lot from taking the class. Also when I try to cook something I've not cooked before I can e-mail Chad and get his advice.
http://aekellerfoundation.org
Eads Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
awscwi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eads Ranch View Post
Something I would suggest is that you sign up for "Smoke 101" class at Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave. Next class is January 20th from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. The owner Chad Franks is the son-in-law of Don Schmidt, one of the owners of Kreuz Market in Lockhart. Class includes brisket and all the beer you can drink. Topics are types of smokers, buying a brisket, trimming, seasoning, cooking, resting, slicing, etc. Class is $75. By the time you drink $75 worth of beer the class is essentially free.

I learned a lot from taking the class. Also when I try to cook something I've not cooked before I can e-mail Chad and get his advice.
That sounds like money well spent! Wish there was something like that in SC!!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #18
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

I jumped into stick burning with both feet and bought a LSG. If you have nicely seasoned wood, you'll be producing thin blue smoke while maintaining temps before the 6-hour seasoning process is complete. If you get to the point where you just aren't using the pit, you can probably sell it for a $500 loss to someone who isn't willing to wait 4 months. If you buy a piece of junk, the resale value will be next to nothing so your total cost of ownership may not be much different in the end between each unit. That's what I tell my wife anyway when I want to buy nice things. A cheap offset could kill your enthusiasm for stick burning because they are more difficult to maintain temps. As far as waiting for what you want to get built, I strongly suggest you do it. The amount of time you own it will be far greater than the time you waited for it and you will forget about how long you waited once it arrives. Having something to look forward to is fun and while you wait, watch some videos on fire management and hang out around here. You will learn everything you need and more to produce very good BBQ on your first try.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

to the OP, have you done any outdoors cooking with wood or charcoal?

do you have a kettle grill or any other type of charcoal cooker yet or is this your absolute first foray into cooking over coals/wood
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
Smithers1945
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
I jumped into stick burning with both feet and bought a LSG. If you have nicely seasoned wood, you'll be producing thin blue smoke while maintaining temps before the 6-hour seasoning process is complete. If you get to the point where you just aren't using the pit, you can probably sell it for a $500 loss to someone who isn't willing to wait 4 months. If you buy a piece of junk, the resale value will be next to nothing so your total cost of ownership may not be much different in the end between each unit. That's what I tell my wife anyway when I want to buy nice things. A cheap offset could kill your enthusiasm for stick burning because they are more difficult to maintain temps. As far as waiting for what you want to get built, I strongly suggest you do it. The amount of time you own it will be far greater than the time you waited for it and you will forget about how long you waited once it arrives. Having something to look forward to is fun and while you wait, watch some videos on fire management and hang out around here. You will learn everything you need and more to produce very good BBQ on your first try.
Great advice. Your thought process is exactly what went through my head when I decided to finally pull the trigger on putting a deposit down with Shirley. I've never cooked on a stick burner, but know it is something I want to do. If it doesn't work out, I'll have an asset that hasn't depreciated much at all.

I was really torn between getting the Shirley and LSG vertical with the warmer above the fire box. Jambo doesn't really do anything for me. I'm sure it is a great unit, but I like the unique design of the Shirley and LSG.
Smithers1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #21
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
for clarification, was the stick burner your first smoker ever? or had you had practice on something else before going into stick burning?

Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #22
marvda1
Full Fledged Farker

a great backyard smokers from rockin w smokers in the forth worth area
http://rockinwsmokers.com/
marvda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #23
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
for clarification, was the stick burner your first smoker ever? or had you had practice on something else before going into stick burning?
I started on a BGE so I learned about air flow management on that but with the advent of Youtube, there isn't much you can't learn ahead of time if you are willing to do your homework. The other thing about spending more money on something is you are less likely to give up on it if it doesn't work out in the beginning.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #24
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I started on a BGE so I learned about air flow management on that but with the advent of Youtube, there isn't much you can't learn ahead of time if you are willing to do your homework. The other thing about spending more money on something is you are less likely to give up on it if it doesn't work out in the beginning.
thanks for the clarification- so you had quite a bit of experience smoking before actually buying the stickburner- kind of different from what the op is attempting.

ifI were advising a first timer I would say start with a kettle. it can put out some great Q for $100 new or about $30 used. then when you are ready to upgrade you still have a dang good grill.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

ain't nuttin to stickburning. Getcha One.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #26
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Venturing into a new hobby I would also start with a WSM or something easy to learn on. Not saying you can't learn something with a steeper learning curve, but there are so many variables into getting a $2500 cooker.. like style, size, and other bells/whistles. It's easy to upgrade if you decide you want to go bigger or change cookers later down the road. Can't forget about kamado cookers, they can also grill like a champ too.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #27
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

The OP asked about 3 specific smokers. He didn't ask about charcoal grills or how to get into Q the cheapest, easiest way.
Maybe he already knows the best Q is made on a stick burner :)

Larry

Old 01-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #28
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shakar View Post
First time posting and a total beginner when it comes to smoking. I'm looking at purchasing my first ever smoker and have been narrowing down my options. Hoping someone can provide some personal experience regarding the following pit makers:

-Jambo
-Lone Star Grillz
-Johnson Smokers

I'm looking for a backyard pit that I can learn on and everything I've read has said the thicker the steel the better. LSG and Johnson both have 1/4" cook chambers and 1/4" firebox whereas Jambo has 3/16" cook chamber and a 2" insulated firebox. Any information / opinions on these pits would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Austin and would be open to any other suggestions. These are just the ones I've researched the most. Thanks!
From that list, Jambo...
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #29
Texan79423
Take a breath!

Check out Rock'n W pits in Euless, TX. It is a jambo clone but improved. Mine works great. Fair priced as well.

Last edited by Texan79423; 06-17-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Texan79423 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #30
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Matt's Pitts- San Antonio - Fine Tune 20x40 or even better - 24x54".

http://rivercottagetables.com/matts_bbq_pits

Tags
Off Set Smoker, smoker, Smoker comparison