MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Craigs List team add?

Is it kosher to put an add on craigs list to find team mates with a truck, and a few other smokers? for the Traverse city area?

I like to get my team built...
The Cajun Bandit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

If you look enuff you can get hookers on Craigs list why not BBQers ?
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz View Post
If you look enuff you can get hookers on Craigs list why not BBQers ?
True true, But I need them to be dedicated such as my self, I want to porduce aulity meats and nothing you give your dog...

Or a neibor you don't like!

LOL.
The Cajun Bandit.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Derek...bro, some of your posts amaze me...

You're hoping to find potential teammates that have a truck and smokers in the BBQ hotbed of Traverse City, MI on Craigslist ??? AND you expect them to be part of YOUR team with a high level of dedication and BBQ skills ?

Longshot...To me, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but go for it and let us know how it goes.

Best of luck bro.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Is it kosher to put an add on craigs list to find team mates with a truck, and a few other smokers? for the Traverse city area?

I like to get my team built...
bro, you may want to start off as a team of 1. its hard to get a group of people to agree on anything that is "artistic". Add on top your request for cookers etc, it makes it even harder.

have you ever entered a contest? have you ever been to a contest?

just because you read about it or see it on T.V. doesnt me you can just " do it".

best of luck with your team, bro. but maybe you should P.B. for someone else for experiance before jumping in head first.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Derek...bro, some of your posts amaze me...

You're hoping to find potential teammates that have a truck and smokers in the BBQ hotbed of Traverse City, MI on Craigslist ??? AND you expect them to be part of YOUR team with a high level of dedication and BBQ skills ?

Longshot...To me, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but go for it and let us know how it goes.

Best of luck bro.
Thanks decided not to do it bro, Too many dangers as you guys pointed out. I may go to the cattle sub forum and ask some of the Mi people what they think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
bro, you may want to start off as a team of 1. its hard to get a group of people to agree on anything that is "artistic". Add on top your request for cookers etc, it makes it even harder.

have you ever entered a contest? have you ever been to a contest?

just because you read about it or see it on T.V. doesnt me you can just " do it".

best of luck with your team, bro. but maybe you should P.B. for someone else for experiance before jumping in head first.
hey bro.

I've been to one contest and it's in my blood now, thanks to Jerry who let me on his team to mentor.

And I love it a lot, I am doing a july 4th one and a september 10th one for ribs and wings only. So wish me luck.

By the way I may let fate pick my team mates and not craigs list.
The Cajun Bandit.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

good move bro.

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent thread bro!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

this is what happened to me when I ran an add on Craigslist, be careful!

http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/2010/...k-416-417.html

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
this is what happened to me when I ran an add on Craigslist, be careful!

http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/2010/...k-416-417.html
wow george... that's classic !!!

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 06-13-2010 at 09:16 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Thanks decided not to do it bro, Too many dangers as you guys pointed out. I may go to the cattle sub forum and ask some of the Mi people what they think?

hey bro.

I've been to one contest and it's in my blood now, thanks to Jerry who let me on his team to mentor.

And I love it a lot, I am doing a july 4th one and a september 10th one for ribs and wings only. So wish me luck.

By the way I may let fate pick my team mates and not craigs list.
hey sis.

Dont listen to these guys. They have no clue, especially Vinny. He doesn't compete and is still sour that he lost his teammate and couldn't find a new one . Maybe if he had tried craigslist Bad Bones would still be on the circuit competing to this day. I say go for it! You got nothing to lose. You exchange some emails, meet them in person and do some practice cooks together. I am sure that there are many others out there just like you that are scared to do it on their own and would if they had a dedicated teammate such as yourself
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
hey sis.

Dont listen to these guys. They have no clue, especially Vinny. He doesn't compete and is still sour that he lost his teammate and couldn't find a new one . Maybe if he had tried craigslist Bad Bones would still be on the circuit competing to this day. I say go for it! You got nothing to lose. You exchange some emails, meet them in person and do some practice cooks together. I am sure that there are many others out there just like you that are scared to do it on their own and would if they had a dedicated teammate such as yourself

Derek - maybe you can make it to the New Holland Summerfest in New Holland, PA in late August... I won't be competing (but may try to be there to heckle Sled and eat the ice cream from the Amish ice cream "vender"). I helped him a few years ago when he took my spot after I "retired" due to him dropping my chicken in the dirt and cost me a GC.

Maybe he can use a teammate equally as competitive ? I'd PM him for details.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
UDS
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Derek - maybe you can make it to the New Holland Summerfest in New Holland, PA in late August... I won't be competing (but may try to be there to heckle Sled and eat the ice cream from the Amish ice cream "vender"). I helped him a few years ago when he took my spot after I "retired" due to him dropping my chicken in the dirt and cost me a GC.

lol be nice kids
UDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Derek - maybe you can make it to the New Holland Summerfest in New Holland, PA in late August... I won't be competing (but may be there to heckle Sled and eat the ice cream from the Amish ice cream "vender",). I helped him a few years ago when he took my spot after I "retired"due to him dropping my chicken in the dirt and cost me a GC.

Derek is more than welcome to come and be mentored in New Holland, I will even give him a discount on the fee That chicken dropping was an accident
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Derek-

I would think it would be easier to find some team members through the GLBBQA than on craigslist.
But then again I never really had any success finding anyone through the PNWBA when I started out, and just ended up cooking by myself. People used to razz me for working the "cooking class circuit", but trying to find individuals that share the passion you have can be tough.
If any teams will take you in as a dishwasher/runner/PB-take them up on it, or volunteer to help out at a contest-most events are volunteer driven anyway, and its a good way to meet other teams/judges etc. and get recognized-you never know, you could find someone in common that is looking for the same goal as you.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote