Chuck roasts

oldpro

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was in Costco yesterday and picked up a couple of chuck roasts. I saw a thread on this forum on smoking them, and they looked great. While I've done plenty of briskets, this will be my first "chuckie." I assume I should use the same dry rub as for brisket.

Do you cook them to the same internal temp as brisket? They weigh about 3 1/2 pounds each. Any tips would be appreciated.

Oldpro

I prefer to smoke them till they hit 170 or so. I just make sure they have some good color on them. foil and continue smoking till I can stick a fork in the meat and twist it with little resistance. Expect them to take about 3 hours per pound at 250.

This advice is for pulled beef only.

Oops!! I posted twice. Didn't think the first one made it.

I did (2) 3 1/2 lb chuckies the other weekend. Rubbed them the night before. took them out about an hour before hitting the smoker and it took about 7 hrs to bring them up to 200*. Juicy and fell apart like butter! They will hit 160* or so and sit for an hour or 2. thats normal. hope that helps.

I rub them just like I do a brisket.
I do not foil chuckies due to the fat content, and I take the internal to 195-200 for pulling.
You'll love the flavor!
Remember to post pron. :mrgreen:

I love chucks. They are my go to cut for beef nowadays.

Y'all are making me hungry. I'm not to familiar with cuts of meat but is a Boneless Chuck Roast Blade the cut you all are talking about? There seem to be many "chuck" roast cuts in my local stores but I don't know which is best for smoking, braising etc. What size roast is preferred?

I've found that if you want to pulled it, simple taking it to 205* isn't always enough..

I'll foil at 165 and take it to 205 and then ditch the thermo and do the fork-turn test until it's done, which is to say stick a fork in it and if you can turn it 180 degrees without much resistance, it should be ready to pull..

Thanks for the input. I got drafted (I really volunteered) to take the grandson duck hunting this weekend, but I plan on doing the chuckies next week.

I'll report back on the results.

Back