First Cook in my UDS

mj5580

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did my first UDS cook today, a chunk of pork loin and a fatty. Drum shot up to 270 while I fiddled with the grill and meat then I got it stable at 230 it cruised there for about 2.5 hours till I got the fatty off the grill. Dad gum work took me away. Temp was 180. May well have been done 20 mins. earlier, I did not get to turn it. Loin was done in another hour and a half.

Drum has 2 3/4" close nipples for intakes, one with a valve, and 4 3/4" holes in top for exhaust. Ran it with 1 intake uncapped and the valve nearly closed all exhaust open. Now for some paint. C'mon weekend.........

100_3304.JPG

Attachments

• 100_3310.jpg
    100_3310.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_3304.jpg
    100_3304.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 162
Only one fatty? Lightweight. :biggrin: Notice any flavor difference?

Congrats on the Drum!!

I did notice that there seem to be temp differences, center to outside of grill as noted in the UDS thread. The meat tasted great, I did not find any texture or moisture issues. Even people that don't like sausage liked the fatty, it was another first for me. We're going to a potluck this weekend, I think I'll bring a couple of fatties and a 12" pot of cornbread :-D

I just love my pellet poopers, but you guys have got me into thinking about a UDS, I have all the tools, I do know how to weld, ( thanks H.S shop ), guess I just need to find a drum that wasn't filled with petro now.

Michael, check out one of the farm supply stores around there. The ones here have empty suppliment barrels real reasonable. Easy to burn out. OBTW, wifey and I will be in Shawnee on Aug 2nd for the KCBS judging class. You going by any chance?

I had been in the market for a cabinet style smoker until I built my drum. That thing amazes me every time I cook in it.

If you enjoy your as much as I enjoy mine, it will be the best $100 bucks or so you hve every spent. Well there was this one time in Hong Kong....

Back