• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What Give You The Most Joy?????

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Curious about why Q'n is such a passion. What gives you the most joy about doing Q? What your spouse likes, friends like, co-workers, customers, family, etc., just curious. Usually after a full day of Q'n, I'm not really hungary but so excited about the end result and hope the others enjoy. What's your thoughts. Heading for bed as early and long day tomorrow. Am anxious to see the brethren responses are. LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Excellent question!! hhmmm
For me, I like to make people I cook for happy and see their responses...good or bad...With queing, something relatively new to me its the challenge, and I love to eat it.
I found this place and it changed my life for the good, good people willing to help you out, when you need the help. Before my passion was playing golf, now its queing, but now my family gets to partake in my hobby and reap its rewards...not hear me grumbling how much my game sucks!!:twisted:
It the last month, I've been camera-less, and could not share pics with you all, and you know what? I found that although I still love doing it, something was missing, I couldn't share with fellow quers, people that shared the same passion, it wasn't quite as fun...
Also one of the best feelings is that I made the UDS with my own hands!:mrgreen: and am proud of what kind of food that it produces...

I love to see peoples reaction to good Q. Some folks out here have never really had it or maybe thought they were eating some such as the garbage they serve at a Tony Roma's or Chiles. I love to cook overall and when I got better at barbecuing it made me enjoy it even more. I am working towards doing some catering soon and cant wait to cook on a larger scale.

It's really about seeing someone's eyes just beam after tasteing some good bbq.
One of my good friends always told me how he didn't really like bbq food.
New year's eve I smoked a bunch of ribs and had a poker party.
You'da thought he had'nt eaten in a week as much as he was wolfin down the ribs.
Needless to say he told me "I didn't think it could taste that good" Now he keeps bugging me for another Rib/poker night.
That makes it all worth it-but so does the left overs, when I have any.

Same as everyone else so far. I love to see the look in people's eyes when they eat some real Q. It's what it's all about for me.

That's why I love this place, all of you understand. How can someone cook for 14+ hours not including prep time and then when its done, not eat any of the food or very little. Then when everyone says how good it is, you are just thinking it sucks and what you did wrong to change this or that. I mean its edible and it could be the best ribs you EVER cooked but there is something that wouldn't be right. I have about 150 employees and cook for them every 2-3 months or so, and they honestly thank me and go out of there way to do so, and they are always amazed how good the cue is. The funny thing is, over the holidays I didn't have time to do it, so I paid a VERY good Comp guy with a restaraunt to cater, and all my employees hated it. I thought it was damn good, but to them it wasn't and they all told me never do that again, especially since it cost more (they have profit sharing)

I go with the other comments. Did two butts today and had about 5 bites while pullin it. But it will be fun to share with some co-workers tommorrow and watch their faces light up. Also gonna take some to the butcher at the local grocery where I get my meat. Ain't nothin like the taste of homemade Q on a homemade UDS!

For me, barcecue is like any hobby .... it's very relaxing and gives personal satisifaction. I enjoy the whole process, especially eating it, but I get the most pleasure in sharing it.

I like to take a piece of raw meat and mold it by fire and smoke and time into an edible work of art!:wink:
It's the same way I feel about taking some raw wood and turning it into a $60,000.00 antique reproduction, or family heirloom that will long outlast me. Although the 'Q won't last nearly that long, it's the same feeling for me. It's somewhat profound.:lol:

Pretty much the same as everyone else. I love it when people get a taste of really good Q. It's not something that is easy for everybody to get or to do. Mostly I just like good Q and I like making other people happy.

Oh, Yeah! I like playing with FIRE!:twisted:

Just like everybody else said seeing people's reactions to non restuarant bbq. I think one of my best moments was when my dad plowed through a rack of ribs at the same rate his sister did and they both had these great big smiles on their faces. We were at a competition then and since they always bring up how good my ribs are.

Besides, that these cool to cold morning when I go out to fire up the cooker are just awesome. Nice and quiet, birds chirping, the dog running around. Only gets better when the smoke fills the cold air and sweet blue is whisping from the stack. Just one of my favorite times.

I just love to cook, so my passion has always been bbq/grilling, wifes parents bought us a water smoker 2-3 yrs ago for xmas, so we tried a brisket had friends over they loved it. actually alot of people have no clue out here in iowa what a brisket is. I just love to cook no matter what kind of food from italian,spanish,tex-mex,French, i like when poeple eat my food guess why me and wife wants to open a BBQ Restaurant.

I'm just like you Meat Burner, After a full day of Q'n I usually just like to see how everything turned out and am not very hungry. (been sampling the last couple hours) I enjoy turning out good quality meat and having the family give me there honest opinion. Or at least as honest as family can be. I usually enjoy what I BBQ the next day alot more than the day I make it.

I agree with every post so far. I am a competitor and have been my entire life. I cant play football, or any contact sport anymore without limping the next day. There had to be something for me to do that I love and can compete at, so BBQ has entered my life. I love it.

I'm pretty much the same as everyone else. No better feeling than having someone go "My god, this is the best stuff I've ever eaten!". My wife usually takes the leftovers to work on Monday, and when I stop by(she works for wally world) everyone knows me because of my BBQ. That's my real pleasure. Of course, I like to eat it, too!

I like the feeling of relaxation I get when cooking low and slow. Even if I'm not spending 100% of my time next to the smoker, I just feel like I have had a more relaxing day when I cook.

I also enjoy the taste. :twisted:

Pretty much a combo of what has already been mentioned. It is great to get the positive feeback and I although I am pretty new to the competitive side of it, I am feeling the strong pull of it. Have always been into sports and now that I am past my prime for most things except golf or bowling :shock: the Q contests are filling that competive void and offering new challenges.

I also like the fact that in the fast paced world we are in with non stop emails and cell phone calls that you can't rush the Q. It makes you slow down and take your time. Seems to be a good stress relief for me.

Back