was given some crab apple and cherry

M

mkatts

a friend came across a guy cutting down a crab apple and a cherry tree. Knowing that I have gotten into smoking, he asked if he could have the wood. The guy gladly gave it away to get it out of his way.

So now I have 6 18" logs about 10" across of cherry and the same in crab apple.

I have a chargriller w/SFB. I have gotten into a good system using natural lump charcoal for heat and putting the wood chucks just outside the fire to smolder. Gives me a nice thin blue smoke.

With this wood being freshly cut, I know that it has to be dried/seasoned before use.

So my question is, if I cut it down to chunk size (little bigger than fist size) Do I still need to let it dry for 6-12 months? Or do you think being smaller and having more surface area exposed, the drying/seasoning time would be much shorter?

mkatts even if you cut it down to smaller chunks it still needs to dry out for a while,maybe wait a week and split a chunk,see what you think and so on.

M

Logs generally take longer to season than split wood. As you stated, chunked wood has more surface area which should help you out on the seasoning time.

Back