Burnt Ends help

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok Brothers and Sisters, what are your techniques and or tips for making burnt ends? Times, temps etc.

I have 2 points in the freezer from the comp this weekend and I am wanting to make burnt ends.

I prefer the point to the flat anyday.:-D

Z-
Pretty easy. Chop, re-rub, cook some more, sauce, cook some more, chow down. :lol:
Lots of variations.

Here is some historical reading until others chime in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28574&highlight=Burnt+Ends

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25660&highlight=Burnt+Ends

Good Eats!

TIM

yup thats how i do it, i like to add a ton more rub, smoke and coat in sauce. and give it another couple of hours. i usually do these in a foil pan

A variation on traditional beef is to use pork.
You can cook a butt to chopping temp and treat it the same way.
If you cook it to pulling temp, it will turn to mush :oops:
You can also use Pork Loins or other less fatty cuts and turn them into "pork heaven" for sandwiches with the same technique.

I will bet you can use veal, poultry, or most any meat. Never ventured that far though :lol:

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TIM

Z, if you prefer the point, keep that in mind for competition... Judges might prefer it, too. ;)

If I were doing the burnt ends, I'd cook them to about 195, then cube it after cutting out fat, rerub and sauce, put in a pan and put it back in the smoker for 2 hours.

Z-
Pretty easy. Chop, re-rub, cook some more, sauce, cook some more, chow down. :lol:
Lots of variations.

Good Eats!

TIM

Burnt ends put the "B" in barbecue. Here are my variations. I re-season and cook the points 2 or 3 additional hours before cubing.

DSC02865a.jpg

Sometimes I serve dry, with sauce at the table

DSC01726a.jpg

Or I do the reduction thing.

DSC02881a.jpg

ccb419b3.jpg

A variation on traditional beef is to use pork.

TIM

I did a tune-up cook this weekend. Bought a case of spares and trimmed/froze a bunch on contest ribs. Cooked up all the rib trimmings, a produced something very similar to burnt ends. Those judges dont know what they are missing... the 'trash ribs' are my favorite...

1.jpg

2.jpg

The trim has always been my favorite. Those look spectacular!!!

Back