• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cleaning your grills and smokers

minijosh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I've been on here but I've been BBQ'ing like crazy. Did my first set of ribs and they came out great. Only down side was that nobody told me to remove the membrane. DOH!!! Now I know. Just a bit tough on the teeth. Also did a nice ham and turkey the other day. Smoking with black thorn and apple woods.

Anyways I am moving from the UK to Las Vegas aka Nellis AFB. I want to take my smoker with me and I need to do a very very very very good job of cleaning it. It will be shipped out and take up to 75 days to reach my home. In the meantime it will have to pass a few inspections. Normal dish soap won't do the job right? My smoker is a Pitmaster. I don't mind losing the grills in it, you can buy those anywhere but it's the entire unit I want to keep.

Pressure Wash it.....If you can find one that does a hot wash that would be even better.

Scrape out any loose gunk you can, then get it up to temp and hit it with water-- a hose, a pressure washer, whatever you can. Once most all of the grime is gone and you've drained it, wipe it down with oil and re-season. That should make her all pretty and ready to travel.

How much is shipping going to be? If it's near the cost of a new one (bout $170) ya might consider donating it to the base in the UK and just pick up a new one when you arrive. Keeps you from cleaning, the other fly boys get to keep making Q, you get a new one right away rather than waiting up til September to get it - everyone's happy.

Shipping is free. They contract people out to pack it all up. I'm just afraid once I get to LV I'll either see a new one and lust over it or keep old faithful and smoke until I did, or it rusts. Hmm thinking about that, I could sell it for cheap and take the money and put it on a down payment on a bigger one. Anyone in the UK wanna buy it?

What you could do is spray it down with oven cleaner, let it sit and then wipe it out real good.

Then reseason it so it doesnt start to rust.

I'd just sell it or donate.
Are you really gonna wait 3 months to "Q" once you get to Vegas while you wait for it?

Yep, look into selling it and checking craigslist in LV.

Back