MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #10396
Flathead Jed
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
I have 2 closed barrels saved up with a "T" design I had my heart set on: (http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/categ...n-drum-smoker/) however I'm not that talented.

But after seeing your approach I think that's a lot easier and probably what I'll do.
What you trying to say ? I'm lacking in talent ? heh heh . I saw this guys build before started mine ,he did a nice job on it , seemed like more time and effort than I wanted to put into it . I just finished it today I hope to try it out this weekend , Hell I just want to eat some good bbq ! We better be careful here its not a uds and we might get in trouble for posting in the wrong thread or highjacking ! Good luck east coast brother !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02185.jpg (122.8 KB, 897 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02187.jpg (132.0 KB, 896 views)
Flathead Jed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #10397
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Jed View Post
What you trying to say ? I'm lacking in talent ? heh heh . I saw this guys build before started mine ,he did a nice job on it , seemed like more time and effort than I wanted to put into it . I just finished it today I hope to try it out this weekend , Hell I just want to eat some good bbq ! We better be careful here its not a uds and we might get in trouble for posting in the wrong thread or highjacking ! Good luck east coast brother !
HAHA!

I'm just thinking it's gotta be easier to cut the straight lines for the design you picked rather than the precise curvature needed for the "T" design so the barrels sit correctly on top of each other.

And rest assured, my drums are ugly. :) I've got not artistic ability at all.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #10398
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...389462_n.jpgMy last build, I put a Weber rotisserie on it. You can grill, hang or use the rotisserie to cook!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #10399
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...389462_n.jpgMy last build, I put a Weber rotisserie on it. You can grill, hang or use the rotisserie to cook!
this is the actual link:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...93389462_n.jpg

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #10400
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #10401
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Thank you!
BTW... could you please post picture of the holes for the rotisserie "spade"...

Thanks

Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #10402
Flips645
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi Guys,

Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa.

I could only read untill page 265 before the urge to Q got hold of me. This concept of Q is very different to our way of preparing food, but boy, did I enjoy it!

Here are spome pics! Enjoy

Flips645 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #10403
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Flips good show Bru looks like you did good I hate to tell you but this addiction only gets worse. Keep reading and don't be afraid to ask a few ?? along the way. Give us a lesson on Biltong sometime. Your Drum look great.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #10404
AssGasket

Well done Flathead, this is tempting me to redesign my build...again...
AssGasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #10405
P&Y13738

Well I am off to a good start on building my first UDS. Found an unlined food grade barrel for $15, burned the remaining corn syrup residue out, got three 3/4" close pipe nipples and a 3/4" ball valve installed, got the position for the bolts for the main grate drilled and managed to get a free 22.5" Weber grill from a co-worker. I had to use a grinder and a wire brush to clean the Weber grates off but beyond that the only cost was to go pick it up. I also ground the lip of the barrel so the Weber lid will fit. Last night I got the ash pan and base of the fire box made and just need to wait for pay day to get some expanded metal from Lowe's.
P&Y13738 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #10406
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips645 View Post
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa.

I could only read untill page 265 before the urge to Q got hold of me. This concept of Q is very different to our way of preparing food, but boy, did I enjoy it!
Sounds like a golden opportunity to start a little business or restaurant. :) Let few people try it out and decide what's in your future.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #10407
morhed82

So I've read every page on this thread and my eyes are crossed, but I got my first UDS done today. Seasoning it now. I'm pretty happy about it. Gonna try it out tomorrow with a fatty and some ribs!! Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.5 KB, 673 views)
morhed82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #10408
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Your off to a great start.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #10409
Jimlg28

Here is my UDS. The barrel is a bit wrinkled, and the lid is a little large, but it seals fine. Have some pork smoking in it right now :)

2012-12-22 15.13.46.jpg

2012-12-22 15.14.11.jpg

2012-12-22 15.40.50.jpg

The basket was made at my neighbors welding shop. The handles are a rake handle I cut into three pieces.

On my test fire, it held 230 for 6 hours. I went to bed then, so it probably kept it there a few hours longer. The temp management is much better than my cheap upright.

James
Jimlg28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #10410
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimlg28 View Post
Here is my UDS. The barrel is a bit wrinkled, and the lid is a little large, but it seals fine. Have some pork smoking in it right now :)

The basket was made at my neighbors welding shop. The handles are a rake handle I cut into three pieces.

On my test fire, it held 230 for 6 hours. I went to bed then, so it probably kept it there a few hours longer. The temp management is much better than my cheap upright.

James
Work of art. Seeing that it appears to be running under a covering, all UDS users HEED THIS WARNING:

Do not leave your smoker unattended when it's uncovered!

It can be almost out of coals, looking like it's almost dead. But if you leave it uncovered, 10, 15 minutes can go by before it finally starts billowing into a flame thrower reaching over twice its height and lots of heat!

Don't burn your house down.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker