MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Need advice

I cooked a couple of pork butts and a brisket Friday and finished up this morning. Although they tasted great none had a dark bark. I cooked for about 7 hours. I let them get to @160 and foiled them and let them cook another 9 hours until morning. They were all in the 195 to 200 range so I put them in the cooler and pulled about 3 hours later. Also I was planning on slicing my brisket but it shreaded like the pork. Did I foil to soon or cook to long? Everyone loved the flavor and didn't seem to mind or didn't know better. But I want a slice to brag about the smoke ring i have seen here.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

The brisket was too done for slicing, no big deal. Depending on the amount of cooler time you can allow, you have to guesstimate when to pull it from the cooker to have the desired level of doneness after cooler time (which is indeed additional cooking time)

The brisket will still make great sandwiches and any leftovers will make chili that willl knock you socks off.

To achieve a darker bark, foil when the color is as you want it, not at a predetermined temp.

Sounds like a great cook and great eats, congrats Brother!!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

It takes every bit of four hours just to get the rub to set up and start forming the bark. Only seven hours in the smoke would not have been long enough. To foil after seven and cook another nine doesn't make sense to me. At 250* it usually only takes around 12 hours or maybe 13 to do two butts and a brisket on my pit in a competition. If I foiled after seven and cooked another nine it would be mush!
I personally do not foil until the bone in the butt pulls out with only a light tug, and as far as the brisket, I remove from the pit when the internal temperature reaches 195* F. One thing is for sure. There are 10,000 ways of doing it and everyone is different. Good Luck!
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Reason I foiled when I did was I had to go off to work. I have made several of the mods from website and a couple of my own. I made a charcoal basket. I can load it after cooking awhile, and with the temp control I made it easily holds 220 deg. until I get home. I wrap a moving blanket around box because a slight breeze causes temp. swings. I have a small blower fan that blows through a stainless steel tube on to coals in fire basket. The fan is controlled by a temp controller. Works great. I have 2 temp probes mounted in cooking box that are 1/3 up and 2/3 up. I choose which one to control off, and monitor the other. I can keep them within about 5-10 degrees of each other. I will send pictures when my kid brings camera back. I appreciate all the advice I can get.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Gonna be hard to get a good bark with a 9 hour foil job. Bark will get mushy unless you put it back on the heat after foling.
Brisket? The River Man is right. Pull it at 195, let it rest and slice. @00 and above usually falls apart.
Smoke On!!!!!!
ATT:
Next time ya gotta work like that, try that Quick Cook Method and get them done in five hours.
Smoke That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!