MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
dswfondy
On the road to being a farker

Default help with dessert

hey all,

we need to get a basic idea of what does well at comps with desserts. Is it pies, cakes, cookies, bread pudding etc?? any help is great. What have some of you seen win this past year?

Thanks

Dace
dswfondy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
slat
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that cheescake, pies or cakes do the best. I've judged a few contest with dessert and in my opinion they hold up better. It also depends on what time of year it is. Pudding doesn't hold up well in the heat. Ice cream doesn't either.

Proud member of the MOFO chapter.

Bandera
Turkey Fryer
Rusting and corroding Gas Grill
slat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

The couple that I have seen that have desserts, ice cream has come in first. Usually turned in by the big boys that have freezers in their trailers.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
slat
is Blowin Smoke!

I just meant that ice cream doesn't do well in the heat. I have had some very good ice cream desserts, but in the heat and the wait to be judged it usually melts and the apperance suffers and sometimes the taste.

Proud member of the MOFO chapter.

Bandera
Turkey Fryer
Rusting and corroding Gas Grill
slat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
blue ox
Got Wood.

I did my first compitition back in May and for desert I made a Chocolate Khalua cheescake with rasberry rum topping and topped with fresh rasberries. It didn't do very well. I talked to a judge later and she said that she loved it (she was pobably the one perfect score I got on it) but that the other judges preferred somthing lighter with BBQ. I have been doing chescake for years and everyone raves about them so I was kind of shocked that it didn't do better. Although I know some people don't like cheescake at all. I imagine it's just like the rest of the compition where you are trying to please the judges and everyone has different tastes.
blue ox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Fruit pineapple and apple smokes well as does blueberries nice presentation material but watch the sauce it can overpower and clash with the pineapple.
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote