MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
jsmoker
On the road to being a farker

Default ?s from this weekend's cook

So I cooked on Saturday for a joint sister's wedding/grandmother's 80th birthday bash. Did brisket, shoulders, baby backs, and salmon in a driving rain storm . 2 questions that I have from my latest Q experience....

1. The rain jacked my probes completely up. I was running one of those Weber remote jobs and a 'normal' unit (non-remote). When they got wet, they sent the temp readings through the roof. I kept having to dry them off and re-set them in the meat. Complete fiasco. Someone needs to invent a remote transmitter that you can leave IN the smoker. What do you all do to keep your probes dry in inclement weather?

2. This is probably the more difficult of the two.... Between my thermometer fiasco and lack of a pit bitch to help monitor things, my brisket didn't get pulled until it was 200+ degrees. I coolered it for 3 hours and when the rain really started coming down had to put it back into the smoker to stop the temp slide. Pulled it back out around 185 degrees. When I unfoiled it, it started to fall apart! Of course, the meat was too dry for my taste. Most of the people loved it (they're from South Florida.... so consider the audience!). My question is, I farking loved the fall apart brisket that was beyond fork tender, but how can I get there without sacrificing the moisture? Can I run a scenario of heat-cooler-heat-cooler-heat-cooler always keeping the temp between say 170 and 180? Would 3-4 hours in that range allow all the collagen to break down but not cook the juices out?

Any advice/direction is much appreciated.

BSKD
Brinkmann ECB
Weber Silver
Weber Lil Smokie kettle
jsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmoker
What do you all do to keep your probes dry in inclement weather?
ZipLoc bags. Seal with just the wire going through.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin
ZipLoc bags. Seal with just the wire going through.
Roger that, works even in Florida storms.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

After your brisket is done smoking boil the $hit out of it overnight.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
jsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
After your brisket is done smoking boil the $hit out of it overnight.
Yeah, boiled brisket is always a fave at many Q restaurants that I frequent.

BSKD
Brinkmann ECB
Weber Silver
Weber Lil Smokie kettle

Old 06-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

• Keeping probes dry:
Pop-Up Awning.
  • Fall-apart, moist brisket.
12# for 14 hours, wrap in foil for two, place in ice-chest for two more. Always works for me...nice and moist and fall-apart tender.

Ken (likes the Pop-Up awning 'cause it makes me look like a competition Q'er but prefers my brisket in slices with a purty smoke-ring)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
jsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuppie
Fall-apart, moist brisket 12# for 14 hours, wrap in foil for two, place in ice-chest for two more. Always works for me...nice and moist and fall-apart tender.
Herein lies my dilemma... When I began Q'ing I used to do the X hours per pound method and jerk the meat out once that time limit was up. Of course, as each piece of meat is different, I got huge variations in the quality of my Q (even during the same cook). Experience has taught me to be more a judge by feel than by time (although time does provide the guidelines). But I've never cooked a fall apart brisket (I mean this thing had NO connective tissue left and came apart in shreds at the slightest touch of a knife), so I guess I don't know what one 'feels like'. Of course, I've never cooked one to 200+ degrees either! Paul Kirk says you can do it and maintain juice, but I'm somewhat skeptical......

BSKD
Brinkmann ECB
Weber Silver
Weber Lil Smokie kettle

Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Solidkick

I let 190* internal be my guide to start testing for resistance when I insert the probe. Some are ready at 190*, some require more time.....when you get "that feel", pull, wrap again in foil, wrap in a towel and dry cooler for a couple of hours. To get the bark to "bark" back up, peel the foil back and set back in the cooker for a bit, don't loose your juices.....best of luck with your next attempt.......
Quote:
Of course, I've never cooked one to 200+ degrees either!
I got to visiting at the last contest and totally walked away from the pit at the most crucial time (too many libations mod) and came back to one at 203* and the other at 206*, would make really great brisket chili, but was no farking way to get a slice in the box, so I can relate! LOL

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

At the bash this weekend, Chad (Dave) and I got to discussing brisket techniques... He made a number of good points regarding the use of coolers after pulling from the pit...My biggest takeaway in that conversation was try to keep wrapped in foil and towel/blanket for a while without the cooler. After 30min- 1hr, then move to the cooler if that is what you plan to do. This should allow the brisket to come down a bit and then rest at a lower thermal load in the cooler, especially if other meats will be added.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
Frisco_Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

I accidently brought my brisket to 205 internal on Saturday. Coolered for 2 1/2 hours and was real tender. Was slightly dry due to the overcook.
[B][COLOR=darkred]Gig'em Aggies!
[/COLOR][/B]
Frisco_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2006, 02:29 AM   #11
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Well over here rain is the norm, and ziploc bags do the trick on waterproofing the probe transmitters. Be careful that the bags don't touch your pit!!!

Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
jsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonToe
Well over here rain is the norm, and ziploc bags do the trick on waterproofing the probe transmitters. Be careful that the bags don't touch your pit!!!
Yeah, I have a set where the display has a magnetic back that I stick to the side of the 'Dera. Works great and stays away from the smoke stack. I encountered a rain storm and put it in a ziploc and stuck it back to the side of the dera.... Holy melted plastic batman! At least now my smoker has a unique battle scar.....

BSKD
Brinkmann ECB
Weber Silver
Weber Lil Smokie kettle

Old 06-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
jsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
At the bash this weekend, Chad (Dave) and I got to discussing brisket techniques... He made a number of good points regarding the use of coolers after pulling from the pit...My biggest takeaway in that conversation was try to keep wrapped in foil and towel/blanket for a while without the cooler. After 30min- 1hr, then move to the cooler if that is what you plan to do. This should allow the brisket to come down a bit and then rest at a lower thermal load in the cooler, especially if other meats will be added.
So my thinking would be.... Just as butts tend to be more tender the longer you can hold them in that 180-190 range while the collagen breaks down, would the same not hold true for brisket? Isn't coolering done for precisely that reason? So, if I were to attempt to cooler for upwards of 4-5 hours and hold the temps in that 180 range, wouldn't the brisket achieve that fall apart state while not getting dried out as tends to happen at 200+? I don't know if a cooler could hold that thermal load for such a time.... So my thought was to stick back in the smoker (or even an oven) once the temp falls below 180 to bring it back up.

I'm thinking an experiment is in order......

BSKD
Brinkmann ECB
Weber Silver
Weber Lil Smokie kettle

Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #14
jsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
I got to visiting at the last contest and totally walked away from the pit at the most crucial time (too many libations mod) and came back to one at 203* and the other at 206*, would make really great brisket chili, but was no farking way to get a slice in the box, so I can relate! LOL
And then that's the contrast to this whole dilemma.... Even if you could get a brisket to fall apart AND remain juicy, would you even want to? In my mind, the classic brisket is those beautiful 1/4 slices with a thick smoke ring, nice bark, and laying on a bed of greens in a turn-in box. Shreds of beef, although tasty, just isn't quite right. (The Omen remake mod.....)

BSKD
Brinkmann ECB
Weber Silver
Weber Lil Smokie kettle

Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I like chopped brisket so fall apart juicy would be ideal, i think the sliced smokering version is only good for presentation
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote