• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

retiring from competition

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well it’s now official. I am retiring from competition BBQ. It’s been a great run but I’ve reached a point where my health will no longer let me compete. Knees hurt way too much and I have a whole list of other complaints. If I could just show up and cook it would be OK although sleeping in the AG chair is not great for me. But all the other work that goes with it is just too much.
Thanks to all the folks over the years who have teamed with me to make it possible, especially to the folks here in FL over the last few years. I will not be judging contests. That would just be reminding me of what I’m missing. I probably will try to drop by at some contests local to Lakeland and say hi to folks.
I’ll be posting some items for sale shortly in the FBA facebook page. Look for some good deals. I’ll be selling just about everything but my knives. That includes my truck.

Ford.
We made the same decision 2 years ago for similar reasons.
The hardest part is missing the BBQ Family at the events.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for the future.

TIM

Ford,

Congrats on a great career! I'm disappointed we never had the chance to meet but your reputation certainly proceeds you. If you are ever close to where we are competing, drop me a line you are more than welocme to just show up and cook with Big Guns.

I understand, Ford. I've noticed that I am more tired after a competition than I was even a few years ago. Good lunk in whatever comes next!

You should post your for sale items here as well as the FBA page.

I'm sorry that you have to give up something that you enjoy.

Hopefully we can still count on you offering advice to competitors when needed.

Eric

Sad to hear that Ford. I'm glad I got to meet you in Kettering a few years ago.

A great teacher, I thank you.

Ford, if it wasn't for you I would not have learned the FBA. I will always consider you a mentor and want to thank you for everything you taught me. You were always willing to share and are a great story teller. If you ever need anything all you need to do is ask.
Bob - Hoggin the sauce BBQ.

Sorry to hear Ford, I have always respected your advice and opinions, even as a non-competitor. I hope you find the next great thing coming your way soon.

We've never met, Ford, but you earned my respect years ago. I'm sorry you have to sit back and watch from now on, but I surely understand.
Please don't be a stranger.

Arlin

Ford,
Thanks for all of the help you have given me over the years. It is very much appreciated. Hopefully you will be able to find another "hobby" to get involved in to keep you busy.
Thanks again and best of luck to you.

Good luck Ford. Ford was one of the firsts I met on the circuit. Grand Rapids 2002. Thanks for poi to g me in the right direction. And if you want to give me your chicken recipe for safe keepings.. I'll guard it with my life!

Good luck Ford. Hope to see you out there, at least visiting.

I've said that when I can't hook the pellet Jambo up to the party palace, I'll be done.

Take care of yourself first, Ford, and please don't be a stranger.

Good luck Ford. Ford was one of the firsts I met on the circuit. Grand Rapids 2002. Thanks for poi to g me in the right direction. And if you want to give me your chicken recipe for safe keepings.. I'll guard it with my life!

Good luck Ford. Hope to see you out there, at least visiting.

You took mikes class with me. I've made a few tweaks and use slabs pork rub. Trimming has evolved with scraping skin.

If you still feel the bug to be around the bbq, you can always judge ???

Good luck to you Ford We have never met but I have always enjoyed your posts I understand how you feel physically as I frequently feel the same I no longer compete as my team but I am able to do so with another Godd luck to you Have you considered judging

Ford, we have never met but I have heard many, many good things about you. Best of luck to you and I am a little sad to heard you are retiring.

I wish you all the very best Ford. Sorry to see you retiring from something you enjoy. Take care and all the very best to you.

best of luck ford!

maybe, and i'm just throwing this out there, if yo WANT to still be out there, post a thread in the mentoring forum?

say one year, under your chosen team name, they do all the work. i'd be up for that if i wasn't a thousand miles away.

but, as said, don't be stranger brother.

best of luck ford!

maybe, and i'm just throwing this out there, if yo WANT to still be out there, post a thread in the mentoring forum?

say one year, under your chosen team name, they do all the work. i'd be up for that if i wasn't a thousand miles away.

but, as said, don't be stranger brother.

i agree with this. plenty of strong backs out there who would be willing to do the work for the opportunity to learn from someone with your experience. good luck with whatever you do though! :clap:

Back