• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Orange wood chunks...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm at Academy buying shirts for working outside in Texas heat, and I wander into the grilling section, where I buy some of my wood chunks. For the first time, I see Orange wood chunks. I have no idea what they are good for, but a bag of it is $4.99, so I buy one.

picture.php

So, now I need to ask the brethren if they have used orange wood, and what it is good for.

CD

It's fantastic - used it for the first time this last weekend. Very light and mild; burns extremely clean. I think it'd be hard to oversmoke anything with it. Also gives the meat a very nice reddish color; doesn't turn nearly as dark.

I've used the same exact brand of orange wood in chicken and it was good. The aroma of it burning wasn't as good as other fruitwood to me, just smokey without a real special aroma. However the flavor on the meet was excellent and the skin had a nice golden color.

Western put out Peach this year as well.. Only place I have ever seen it however is Cabelas, locally no one carries it nor orange yet.

I've never cooked with orange but I would love to try it if I can ever find some.

On another note. I heard these shirts are great for beating the Texas heat.

images

2Q==

LOLOLOLOL That shirt is great. Btw, never tried Orange wood, but seems like you could use it in replacement for any fruit bearing hardwood.

Big Johnson. :laugh:

That's all I got...Big Johnson. Great screen name. There's a thread floating around her somewhere about how you chose your screen name, you should check it out. Just take it easy, there's a few nice ladies around here. :razz:

Citrus of all types are wonderful smoke woods in my experience. If a more delicate (This is not to say less intense, per se) smoke flavor is wanted especially. You've reminded me. I've got five sections of a small trunk (About 5"x5"X5") that I need to split into chunks. Had them about three years since they were cut so I assume they're seasoned by now.:becky:

The land that I live on used to be an orange grove... a neglected orange grove. Over the years I've had plenty of trees die and I've smoked with the wood a few times. As others have said, it's pretty mild. I quit using it because it seems to burn up too fast. But, there is no harm in giving it a shot.

I've wondered if I would have had better results using it while it was still a little green (instead of completely dry.)

It's fantastic - used it for the first time this last weekend. Very light and mild; burns extremely clean. I think it'd be hard to oversmoke anything with it. Also gives the meat a very nice reddish color; doesn't turn nearly as dark.

Ditto what Lance0623 said...
I like it..

Western put out Peach this year as well.. Only place I have ever seen it however is Cabelas, locally no one carries it nor orange yet.

I have cooked with Peach before. My Ex FIL gave me some. It was VERY mild, almost to the point of too mild. Definitely better for poultry than beef.

CD

I brine whole chickens and cook them on a rotisserie. I usually stuff the birds with herbs and sliced fresh lemons. I'm thinking this orange wood would be a good choice for that cook.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

CD

I went to Texas last week and stopped by the Academy in Amarillo to buy a smoker. They didn't have the smoker I wanted so I left. I had meant to also by some rubs and the orange wood looked interesting but I got distracted with trying to track down a smoker. I was on my way back to Idaho so it was the last opportunity I had to stop there. Still kicking myself.

Great info, Ill source some orange!
I ordered 2 x ten lb bags of hickory and white oak which we dont have here, from Amazon yesterday and cancelled when the shipping price was $146!!!

:faint:

Back