MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Default To foil or not to foil?

Any advantages or disadvantages to foiling when meat hits certain temp? If advantage at what temp to foil? Or do you foil after meat hits internal temp, wrap in towels and place in cooler?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here are some related threads. Lots more in the search as well. Foiling can help with speeding up cook time, adding tenderness, keep from over smoking. But all those things can be achieved without foil too. Just got to experiment and see what side of the boat you are on.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104384
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=103876
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=134034
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148991
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17674

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

You wiil find a ton of arguments for, against and otherwise. Some call it a "great tool in the box", others say "that ain't real BBQ". Best bet as stated above.....try it both ways, see what floats your boat, and go with it........oh, and have some fun along the way!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
BobM
Babbling Farker

I foil when my meat gets the color I am looking for. Foiling also helps keep the meat moist.
I use internal temperature as a guide. I've become a big fan of poking and sticking meat to determine if it's done.
I rest my meat when it's done. A cooler is a good place to rest a big cut.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I foil when my meat gets the color I am looking for.
And exactly what color is THAT Bob?

Quote:
I've become a big fan of poking and sticking meat to determine if it's done
Couldn't have said this better myself

Quote:
I rest my meat when it's done.
Me too, the older I get or if I have a couple drinks, the testing period becomes a bit longer, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef24 View Post
Any advantages or disadvantages to foiling when meat hits certain temp? If advantage at what temp to foil? Or do you foil after meat hits internal temp, wrap in towels and place in cooler?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
I don't foil ribs or chicken

I foil butts cover in towels and put in the cooler of they're finished cooking a while before in ready to serve.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
bigabyte

I tend to foil based on world events rather than meat temps, textures or colors. But hey, to each their own. As they say, there is no wrong way.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
gtr

I generally don't foil unless the bark is getting too barky. Seems to me that chuckies benefit from foiling though. Lots of folks foil at 160 (briskets and butts). Lots of folks foil their ribs. I'm a lazy sumbich so I don't. Doesn't seem to bother anyone - the non-foiling that is. The laziness is another issue altogether.

Just fark around with it and see what you like.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I have done both. I foiled my butts. didnt foil my chuckster. didnt foil my chicken. i DID foil my ribs today.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
scummybear
On the road to being a farker

I'm no expert, as I gather most of my info from the veteran experts on this forum, but I don't foil. No science behind it, I just don't. I should probably try it some day, but, meh. I'm happy with my results. I would think that it would help keep it moist if you are running into dry meats, but I would also think it would soggy up the bark. But then again, I don't have proof because I never tried it. Never needed to speed it up SSO bad that I couldn't wait. I tend to over estimate my times anyway and eat early.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Guess it could depend on the type of smoker you are using. Every time I've tried foiling I farked up my cook. So, I gave up on trying that. I do foil the meat after its done to retain its heat while it rests and use towels as well.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I foil for color and to govern the amount of smoke, not by temp.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote