MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Default KCBS "lower level" ToY contest

What do you guys think of this?

Quote:
MOTIONS:

Candy Weaver: I move that we implement a 5-contest only ToY contest for 2012.

Sent to the members of the Board for consideration is a proposal to implement a "lower level" ToY contest. This idea and proposal originated from Dawn, the KCBS administrator for ToY.
Taken from here.
http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=457

Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
SeaDogBBQ
Got Wood.

I think having two sep ToY categories would be good. Im not sure on the 5 contest only part of the proposal. I would suggest setting up two ranges....maybe 1-10 and 10+ contests.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

5 does seem kind of low....

Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDogBBQ View Post
I think having two sep ToY categories would be good. Im not sure on the 5 contest only part of the proposal. I would suggest setting up two ranges....maybe 1-10 and 10+ contests.
Part of me likes the idea because I know I'll never do more than 10 a year but at the same time it would never feel right winning a "lower" TOY.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Speaking for myself , I think the TOY program shouldnt be set up much different for a national deal. I just think if you want to be considered a "National Champion" 10 contests at a minimum shouldnt be out of line.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I like it. I do mostly SCBA comps, but did 3 KCBS last year and might be inclined to travel to 2 more KCBS events if there was a 5 comp TOY. 10 is a reasonable # but unobtainable for me as I would have to travel more than 8 hours on at least 4 comps to do 10.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree with Coz. 5 contests isn't what TOY is about. KCBS should be encouraging teams to cook more contests, not less.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know how you could be considered a "Team of the Year" by only cooking a couple of months of it. Bad idea KCBS.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
AZScott
Take a breath!

Time, money, jobs, and other things keep teams from going after the TOY as it stands today. I applaud and personally envy every team that can do it but for the vast majority of teams a run will never happen. Perhaps two categories such as 12 or less comps with the top 5 or 6 contests counting and > 12 comps for the TOY as we know it today. As it stands, the KCBS standings mean very little to most teams since the type of schedule to take a run for it is a pipe dream for most. I fully believe a second tier TOY with diminished money and stature would do much more to increase the amount of competitions a typical team does each year since they will actually have a better chance of placing in the top 25.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I think the idea is that there are some really great cooks that don't have the pockets or the time to cook 30 contests a year. This is a way to recognize teams that are some of the best, without taking anything away from the Big T.O.Y. winners.

But lets face it. Winning the Team of the Year does not necessarily mean that you were the best team that year, it just means that you were the best team to cook 30+ events. Now don't get me wrong on this, these guys who win T.O.Y. like Quau, Pellet Envy, Munchin Hogs, and others most likely are the best of the best, but there are teams out there that could make runs at it, but will most likely never be able to due to whatever.

I do agree that 5 seems low. 10-20 would make more sense to me.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #11
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I kind of agree that ToY should be the most points for the the year and not limited to any number of comps, but I give them credit for trying to come up with a way to involve the other 99% of the membership.

I think in the end it might encourage teams to compete more that get tied up in the race and might increase attendance to the annual banquet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I think the idea is that there are some really great cooks that don't have the pockets or the time to cook 30 contests a year. This is a way to recognize teams that are some of the best, without taking anything away from the Big T.O.Y. winners.

But lets face it. Winning the Team of the Year does not necessarily mean that you were the best team that year, it just means that you were the best team to cook 30+ events. Now don't get me wrong on this, these guys who win T.O.Y. like Quau, Pellet Envy, Munchin Hogs, and others most likely are the best of the best, but there are teams out there that could make runs at it, but will most likely never be able to due to whatever.

I do agree that 5 seems low. 10-20 would make more sense to me.
I believe the current program is your top ten events.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

The goals of KCBS would be much better served if they put forth an effort to work with local/regional groups to promote the establishment of local/regional championships much the way the Empire State BBQ Championship Series ( http://empirestatebbqchampionship.com/ ) is done in NY.

It doesn't diminish or detract from the TOY in any way and yet promotes participation in competitions for thsoe that can't or won't travel all over the country.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

if there is a cash prize, I am in....
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

you should also have to declare before the season starts or some cutoff date which series you are competing in and not be able to change during the season.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not a lot of details here, so it will be interesting to hear what the proposal is. There must be a cap on total contests cooked. I can't see the declaration being very efficient or effective. If someone gets on a run, they shoot themselves in the foot for the big TOY because they already declared for Baby TOY at the beginning of the season.

I only cooked 12 TOY contests last year and finished 50th overall and 20th in chicken. At one point, I was 6th in ribs August with only 8-9 contests. Could someone win chicken in Baby TOY and get Top 20 in TOY at the same time?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote