Is "Top Blade" another name for a "Chuck Steak?"

S

Smiter Q

Have a recipe for my Dutch oven I want to try. It is calling for a top blade cut. Is that a chuck steak? I can not remember. :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the assist!

Similar question/same topic/animal- is there another word for the "brisket" cut? It's kinda hard to find up north.

From what I can tell from the overly complicated chart, top blade roast or steak if cut from the chuck primal, above the shoulder blade.

Brisket is brisket, I have never seen it under another name. I would suggest you try Kosher or Halal butcher shops, as brisket is a very traditional dish in Jewish culture.

From what I can tell from the overly complicated chart, top blade roast or steak if cut from the chuck primal, above the shoulder blade.

Ummmm.... I seem a little dense today. :doh:
Sooo... if my butcher has a large check roast/steak, that would do?

A large chuck roast would do. The meat of a top blade is a little different than other parts of the chuck, but, it is the same basic priciple of hard worked meat, lots of connective tissue, long cooking etc...

Thanks gents, I was leaning that way.. just had to be Brethren certified! :grin:

Back