Pro Teams in Backyard Division

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
We made our annual run down to Lynchburg to check out the Jack this weekend. After a walk through the Backyard Division area I noticed several KCBS pro teams competing... and displaying trophies from previous wins! I really don't want to be "that guy" who points fingers and cries foul, but I was in almost daily contact with Debbie Christian @ JD early in the year to get an application for the Jack Daniels Backyard Competition. Once we received and opened our competitor's packet, the first thing we saw was that heartbreaking notice: "You cannot compete in the Backyard division if you have EVER COMPETED in a professional event (KCBS/MBN), backyard is for amatuer teams only." Having accepted that we decided not to send in our application. We've never won an event, but we've been competing in KCBS event for several years. So how is it that I'm seeing more and more winning pro teams competing in these amatuer events... not just the Jack Backyard but everywhere?

Not every back yard comp has that rule. If there were teams who have competed (and even won) in a KCBS or MBN comp in the Jack back yard, then someone wasn't enforcing the rules.

Doesen't everyone have FEC's and Old Hickory CTO's in their back yards?

Kidding of course. I wasn't there so I can't say. However there are some teams that compete alot in backyard comps so that they can do the People's Choice portion. I guess its possible that this is the case, but from the way you describe it, it sounds otherwise.

Doesen't everyone have FEC's and Old Hickory CTO's in their back yards?

Kidding of course. I wasn't there so I can't say. However there are some teams that compete alot in backyard comps so that they can do the People's Choice portion. I guess its possible that this is the case, but from the way you describe it, it sounds otherwise.

Hmmm, i thought it was the cook not the cooker...

Funny stuff Q-Dat! I'm going to try to run that by my wife and see if I can upgrade the old WSM out on the back porch to couple of trailer mounted FEC's!

I have an ole hickory CTO ... have been beat by JAMBO''s, home made pits, uds and everything else. But I understand where you are coming from they are not typical back yard pits.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

We were located directly across from shade tree (backyard) this year and i had the pleasure of talking with a few contestants who walked up to chat up the "pro's" :gossip:

Both were doing their first ever comps etc...I basicaly told them to have fun and cook way you do... I would guesstimate there was 40-60 teams over there like last year....

Not sure how they could stop folk from entering who are experienced...Thats just wrong for a seasoned comp cook to enter if you ask me...The 2 folk i talked with were backyard bbq'ers and just not as versed etc. in the whole comp deal....

I worked the Shade Tree division at the Jack as a volunteer for several years, and I never saw any Pros cooking there.

In fact, a couple years back I was asked to help out on the backyard team of a good friend who had passed that summer. His widow and cooking partner decided to go ahead and cook the backyard division at the Jack to honor my friend. I called JD to discuss it, and was told that despite the circumstances I could not participate as a cook in the Shade Tree because I was a member of a Pro team even though I have never been listed as Head Cook.

Yes I know of a few teams who do cross back and forth across the line between Backyard and Pro at other contests, but never at The Jack. They are pretty firm on that rule in Lynchburg.

Back