MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork butts and a little midnight ride aboard the night train!...

Ok so this weekend i set out to make some pork butts. I went to pick up 2 butts but i dunno what was up with the supermarket but they only had some small ones so i got my hands on 3 instead. a 4#, 4#, and a 6# butt.

i also have been farkin up brisket pretty bad and since i have no measuring stick to hold a high standard of what tenderness means, i decided to get a little funky and buy a ticket aboard the night train!

injected my butts with chris lillys apple juice recipe.

wrapped em up and put em in fridge so they were all ready to go early in the morning.

morning came and i fired up the pit. put em on and let em cook until they reached around 160-165. foiled em up and let em hit 200. coolered em and pulled em. they were outstanding.

this is another 2 hours later when i was pulling up the two smaller butts for my friend to use to sell at his snackbar at the hockey rink.

sorry i forgot to take a pic once they were pretty and pulled. too many beers!

EARLIER THAT DAY:

i picked up a 4.5 lb brisket flat. i followed the night train brisket directions to the T.

rubbed down with the pepper and celery salt as directed in the directions.

i let it sit for 30 minutes after cooking it in the oven at 275 for 4 hours. he reccomended getting a brisket flat around 5 lbs. cooked for 4-4.5 depending on size. so i did 4 hours bc mine was only 4.5 lbs.

broiled it up for 15 minutes and let it sit another 15 minutes before slicing.

i sliced it up against the grain at about 1 inch slices as the directions instructed. then i cut the slices up to serve to my hungry friends that didnt mind eating a funky science experiment.

RESULTS:
the night train got derailed! it wasnt very tender. it was moist. but not that tender. maybe i should have done 4.5 hours afterall. BUT i did notice that while rubbing it down i forgot and cooked it in the foil fat cap down instead of up as directed. im not sure how much this would effect, but maybe it did.

LESSON LEARNED:

while i did put a sign on the oven that said "do not open", i didnt leave a sign on the brisket while it was sitting on the counter after broiling. when i came back 15 minutes later, there was a slice missing.

all in all, i decided that i will be punching another ticket aboard the night train this weekend as well and see if i can get it to work as planned.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks for sharing