MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Rusted Truck Ranch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ribeyes for 100

I have another event out of my "wheel house" (saturday i'm doing breakfast for 100. Another new menu for me)

Just asked to cook 100 steaks and potatoes and one extra side. Plus, they want a chicken wing appetizer.

They want the steaks served in flights and off the grill. It's a casual event with guys having cocktails, cigars, etc.

I feel pretty good about pricing. Thinking around $22 or $23 per person. This may be a bit on the high side, but I'd rather make it worth my time then get aggressive on the price.

My main concern is the serving system. Have any of you guys done "cooked to order" for big groups? Do you have any tips on how to handle?

thanks,

Kyle
Rusted Truck Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The steak dinner sounds great wish I lived close to you I'd be more then happy to help out......... keep us posted on how it goes......
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Assuming you have adequate cooking surface, it ends up being all about organization. Are you cooking over coals/livefire? One of the biggest mistakes I see is failure to properly maintain the fire, once the fire is going, it is important to keep the fire burning at the right temperatures throughout the cook. Also, remain organized, keep everything where you need it and make sure you have everything ready to go before starting. Figure out what you can comfortably cook and the frequency you want to feed out steaks. Say 10 at a time, and work out how many have to be on the grill to meet that demand. SInce it is not a seating, you can have a little longer wait time, and cooking to order always takes longer. Don't sweat the time, as long as the grill is hot, your timing will happen as it does. Also, allow the steaks to rise to temperature in the cooler, make sure everything is as close to room temperature as is safe, frozen or iced meat takes forever and rarely cooks right.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Rusted Truck Ranch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the advice fellas. Think I locked in the gig at 26 bucks a head. They are getting:

Ribeye
Green Salad
Baked Potato with fixings (sour cream, cheese, chives)
Cream Corn
Dinner Roll
Tea
Water

Talked to a good friend who does a lot of steak jobs. He gave me some tips on the job. He buys choice full rib-eyes from sams and cuts them to 1" and keeps the seasoning simple with just salt and pepper. Said he cooks everything a bit shy of medium rare, and then holds them in pans until serving.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Rusted Truck Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I cook to rare and toss in a Cambro 30 minutes before serving........
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

throw all the steaks on a low temp smoker like 150- 190 to reverse sear them. your meat temp will already be 100 or so when its time to take them off to sear them on your hot grill. it will save you a ton of time.
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote