Replace waterpan with Pot of Beans

C

CaptFrank

I have a cast iron dutch oven that will fit in the waterpan bracket. I was thinking of replacing the waterpan with the cast iron pot with baked beans and beer. Has any one tried this? Will it be to hot for the beans? :?: :?:

I haven't. If my dutch oven was close to full I'm thinking it might be a little heavy for the standard brackets. I've always put mine on a shelf, but is space is a premium I'd think it's worth a shot.

CaptFrank said:
I have a cast iron dutch oven that will fit in the waterpan bracket. I was thinking of replacing the waterpan with the cast iron pot with baked beans and beer. Has any one tried this? Will it be to hot for the beans? :?: :?:

i have lined my waterpan with foil, filled it with beer and onions and loaded it up with brats... dont forget to add littel franks red hot. (yes while other stuff is cooking and dripping into it). When ya want a brat, out of the waterpan, onto the lower shelf for a few minutes and that be the best brat ya ever had.

so to answer your question, if your brackets will hold it, go for it. If it works tell us, if it dont, tell us that too.

now im hungry.

I would be prepared to stir frequently, or be ready to have some burnt beans and a heck of a cleaning up problem.

I do not do chilie or beans in the StudeDera--just me.

But, my water pan boils hard (reallly hard) and needs re-filling at about 3 hours or so. It is about half gone by then.

Is that what you need for chilie or beans???
Just curious.

With the drippings (except poultry) the flavor would be concentrated and wonderful--I am guessing here 8)

TIM

Thanks Guys

My concern is keeping the beans from sticking to the pot. I thought if I put beer in with the beans it would evaporate and keep the beans from sticking.

i think the point is that the beer reaches a hard boil and evaporates before the beans are cooked. Also, dont ya need molassas in Baked beans? That wojuld be bad in a waterpan... carmelize real fast.

me??? i would forget there beans:) ... In the dutch oven... put a few beers, a load of vidalia onions, garlic clove, a little franks red hot. let that boil in the smoke for a while. make some arlic bread on the botrtom shelf an serve that in the bottom of a bowl, spoon the soup over it. Awesome smoked onion soup.

I throw a pot of beans on the bottom shelf for awhile to pick up some smoke. Usually no more than about 2 hours in the cooker, and stir it maybe every 20 minutes. The drippings add a lot, but if you leave it in too long it becomes more like a "refried" bean consistency.

Re: Thanks Guys

CaptFrank said:
My concern is keeping the beans from sticking to the pot. I thought if I put beer in with the beans it would evaporate and keep the beans from sticking.

I have a NB Cast Iron pot (no legs, so not dutch)

Use the water pan, fill it with water. place a grill grate right on top, or the next rack up, and put the pot on that. The water pan takes the direct heat, the pot takes the indirect.

I pseudo tried, pot instead of water, and realized your concern. Way Way too hot coming through that went. Burned up the pot of chilli nicely.

Ruined mod

Damn it Bill, I was just about to suggest he place his pot right over top the water pan but you beat me to the punch!

Unless you want to open the door every 20 mins or so to stir I would not try this. If you can get in and out of there really fast then go for it!

Let us know how your results fare so we all can learn from your trials.

For me, it depends on what type of meat you're smoking and what's in the pot. For example, rendering alot of fat into baked beans wouldn't cut it for me. I'm on a strict low fat diet per my doc. But if the beans were real watery, and you let them cool sufficiently, most of the fat can be skimmed off.

Thans for all your responses. I am smoking 6 St. Louis cut ribs and a chuck roast on Sunday. After evaluating all your ideas I think I will put the pot of pork and beans on top of the water pan for 2 hours to get some smoke flavor and dripings. I will report my results.

Man...after reading this...Brats n' Onions in water pan...beans with bacon right above (at least for part of the smoke)...then ribs above that..drippings and all going into the beans!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CaptFrank said:

Yes, I have tried this once and it worked but it was in the winter and I have big cast Iron Pots and with a gallon of cold beans and stuff I put in the beans it took a real long time to get the chamber temp up since I did not start with hot water in the water pan like normal. Plus I had the brisket shelf too close to the top of the beans and my baffel fits around the pot so I could not pull it out to stir the beans. So after that deal, this is how I do beans now. The ribs above the pot of beans above the heat dheild were in the heat and smoke for about 8hrs and were the best I have done so far. check it out.
:D
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/mod...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I keep my beer in the frige so it is cool when I drink it.................I also think you would have trouble keeping the heat right for BBQ and right for the beans.

Why not catch the rippings and walk them into the stoe where the beans are cooking? Or cut off a piece of the pork while it is smoking and add it to the beans...on the stove!

Thanks, guys, this has bean an interesting discussion... :lol:

Back