MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Meat from a pickup?

Had some guys stop by our house yesterday wanting to sell us some meat from their pickup truck. They had a big logo on it for this company:http://www.iasteak.com/Default.aspx

Anyone ever here of them, use them, buy meat off a pickup? what were your results, thoughts etc?

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

Next door neighbors daughter worked with them for a while they brought some from them said it was the worst Karp they ever tasted the stuff was frozen with water around the meat to add weight to it and when thawed it was mushy, soft and gappy it look like an abused hunk of squirrel he said it had no taste and was chewy. He ended up feeding to his dogs offered me some I politely declined trying to keep a straight face.
RR/ Mike
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Might be ok, but I personally wouldn't buy any meat (or anything for that matter) from someone I couldn't find later.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Anyone stopping by my house to sell me something gets the door closed on them and I seriously doubt the quality of meat from the back of a pickup! Unless it's still on the hoof

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Few years back I was filling up at a gas station a few time they would come up and say it is the end of thier shift and only had a little left and could work me a deal. Same canned from several different people. Sorry No thanks I am a vegan....

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Don't do it! Seriously when I first moved into my new house one of these guys came around while I was working in my garage. He gave me his line and I told him no thanks and have a great day. Which meant get the hell out of my garage before I physically remove you. He went walking back to his truck so I went inside to grab something and when I came back outside he had spread a bunch of packages of frozen meat on the floor of my garage. I was like WTH get that crap out of my garage now. He would not take no for an answer. Why don't you want to look at it? Its top quality. I said yeah I wouldn't feed that to my neighbors dog. He continued with his sales pitch and I stopped him one more time. Get your crap meat off my floor and off my property because the next time I come outside its with my 12 gauge. Never did see him or any other meat salesman in my neighborhood again.
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
HTGGUY
Knows what a fatty is.

They usualy have a crest freezer straped in the back of the truck. It sets in there melting all day, when they get home the plug it in till they leave the next day, how many days it stays in there melting and thawing is any bodys guess.
HTGGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wonder if they know the guys who work at the loading dock where they just got 8 extra EV Voice of the Theater speakers that they can't return but will sell to you cheap.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
jdm51
Found some matches.

I got suckered for$250 off a similar outfit, Then I researched the meat labelling requirements for USDA and learned a lot. If there's any ingredients besides meat , THEY HAVE TO SAY SO ON THE BOX- it'll say "this product has not more than 15% sodium sorbitol, etc". That means it's injected with butter flavor, salt and food coloring, and you're paying for that in weight.

Anyway just know what you're getting, I'm sure the meat won't kill you and fake buttery steaks don't taste half bad, but it's probably hardly worth the price when you consider it.

PS- I called the meat guys and politely asked them to return my check, and they actually did.
jdm51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Did a google search on them and there are a ton of complaints and the followups from reps seem questionable on many of them. Glad I missed those pieces of meats.

I figured with all the people on here someone was bound to have experience with them or some good advice.

Thanks

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

I'm from Iowa and we don't have any trucks runnin around here sellin meat except Schwans and I'm not to sure on how good there meat is anyway.

Would you buy life insurance from a pick-up? That's what I thought, if there's an issue I want to go to my local address and take care of it face to face!
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
DrewDown
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Meat from a truck? No Way!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shrimp from a van? Hells Yeah!!!!!!!!
DrewDown is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Same thing happened to me. But out here they're called Atlantic Beef, same sales tactics. The first time they stopped there were 2 of the shadiest people you'll even meet and they took out chicken, steaks, and whatever else that was suppost to be, spread it out all over the ground and at that point they had to go. They also wouldn't take no for an answer. I think they finally saw i was fed up by the look on my face which was about 1 second from going from "get out" to "i'm getting my gun". The second time they stopped the guy was actually very polite and i firmly said no way and told him about the last guys and he appologized and left. Food looked like absolute crap.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Tell them to add you to the " do not come by again" list.My neighbor bought some from a traveling truck and said it was the worst food he ate.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
cricky101
Full Fledged Farker

I had a guy stop by my house and it sounds like the same kind of deal. He said it was the end of his shift, he's got a bunch of extra steaks, and would give me a great deal. I said "no." He said he'd throw in a bunch of free steaks. I said "no" again and he left. The next day I put up a "no soliciting" sign near my front door.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote