• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pro or Backyard ?!?!?!?!

L

LargoMike

I have been doing excesive online research on competitions and I have noticed a # of things.

1. Pro Teams win the money.
2. Vendors must be Pro Teams.

So what seperates the Pro Teams from the backyard teams? I want to compete in Florida and to do so we need to make money. Pro payup is large, meat costs are the same and if I can sell food during the event we can handle the expense of competition without improverishing ourselves.

Is this KCBS? Or FBA?

KCBS has no rules against teams selling Q as far as I know, but the contest organizer very well might. I looked into this myself a while back. It seems that some vendors don't like it when teams are selling Q. They usually pay a price to sell just like we pay a price to compete. I kinda don't blame them.

most teams are not inspected or licensed to sell. Around here most vendors pay a premium to be there and the organizers limit the number and type of food vendors. Me, I personally dont want the hassel of dealing with the public while competing.

LargoMike,

Every competition is different, particularly how it handles vendors. Some dont allow teams to vend, others embrace it, and others still encourage it. It tends to have little to do with whether the competitor competes in the sanctioned cookoff or the unsanctioned Back Yard cookoff.

If you are looking at FBA contests, it is very common for backyard teams to be allowed to vend their food. Pick a contest and just read their rules carefully. If you have any questions, let us know. We can let you know which contests have good turn outs and which ones to stay away from in regards to vending.

I have been doing excesive online research on competitions and I have noticed a # of things.

1. Pro Teams win the money.
2. Vendors must be Pro Teams.

So what seperates the Pro Teams from the backyard teams? I want to compete in Florida and to do so we need to make money. Pro payup is large, meat costs are the same and if I can sell food during the event we can handle the expense of competition without improverishing ourselves.

1. Pro teams have the chance to win the money.
2. Not true most of the time.

The price of the entry fee is the only thing separating the pro from backyard teams. That and the pro teams will always get the more experienced judges. Go pro! :thumb:

Thanks all. My plan is to host a lunch with "product and competition" once I get our logo done and after plying the Grill Mfg, the Trailer Mfg, The Butcher and a couple of other select indiv. Pitch them for sponsorship. Gear, meat and grills.

Since I read the materials submitted, I have decided to attend the nearest FL competition and then endevor to host a Tampa Bay cook-off. Then it is competition. A family of scifi geeks with Klingon costumes and a party attitude.

Gotta get to tampa and get some pics of the brick grill, wood box and smoker my Dad & I built years ago. Gonna do a similar build with my son @ our home. Should be alot of fun.

1. Pro teams have the chance to win the money.
2. Not true most of the time.

The price of the entry fee is the only thing separating the pro from backyard teams. That and the pro teams will always get the more experienced judges. Go pro! :thumb:

Congrats on your ranking to date and looking forward to meet your team.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
In some cases, a backyard team may be limited by grill surface (i.e. you cannot use a cooker over xxx square inches). Backyard teams generally cook only fewer categories than pro teams.

As to vending, like the others have said, there is no set policy regarding that. Check the contest literature for each, because they're all different. Some are VERY strict in regard to local health officials, at others you'll never see the health police onsite. There really is no rhyme-or-reason to the whole thing.

Back