Tatonka Dust

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Reaction score
I ordered one of those EZ Hooks from Owens BBQ. They offered a left-handed model, for those of us in our right brain. :biggrin1: How cool is that? Great service BTW; it came very quick. Along with the hook was a sample of Tatonka Dust. I just so happened to be cooking a tri-tip tonight, sorry, no pron, and I rubbed it down with the sample. I cooked the tri-tip to 135 degrees and let it set for 30 minutes, wrapped, while I waited for the wife to come home.

I served the tri-tip with baby peas and a slow-baked potato. I didn't say anything about the rub to the wife. She took a bite and said, "This is really good. Did you do anything different?" I told her about the sample, and she said, "Buy some." SWMBO has spoken. :shock: I enjoyed the rub as well. It enhanced the meat rather than overpowering it, and it had a subtle amount of heat to add kick. It is a very dark rub that goes well with beef, but I don't know if I'd use it on chicken. Got to use my new EZ Hook to boot. :-D

It's good stuff. I've been out for a while and need to order some. I agree with what you said, it enhances the flavor, not cover up and overpower. It's great on pork and chicken also, I'm not sure what it wouldn't be good on. MossyMo has used it on shrimp and I think that sounds really good.

Love it on beef!

Have yet to use it on chicken, or pork.....but gave a sample to a friend and he used it on chicken and said it was great. I have also used it as a base in sausage links, good stuff :clap:

not to derail the thread, but was there an answer to why it turns black?

Back