MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice video and smoker.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Nutz4bbq
On the road to being a farker

Great looking smoker... had some folks at bbq festivals tell me it was a great smoker and easy to use... Enjoy!!
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks nice

Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #19
K5TAM
Knows what a fatty is.

Very nice smoker! Thanks for the video

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nice job on the video and nice looking smoker. I am curious about the rack spacing. The picture on the Assassin web site looks like the shelves are evenly spaced. Did you have them put in with the different spacing for a reason?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Nice job on the video and nice looking smoker. I am curious about the rack spacing. The picture on the Assassin web site looks like the shelves are evenly spaced. Did you have them put in with the different spacing for a reason?
The spacing on that I mentioned is the standard way the smoker is built. When I was first investigating the Assassin, I got this information from Jeff Connelly, the builder. His idea is that this gives you options with the minimum being 4". On the larger Assassin 28 all the shelves have 6" spacing.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
The spacing on that I mentioned is the standard way the smoker is built. When I was first investigating the Assassin, I got this information from Jeff Connelly, the builder. His idea is that this gives you options with the minimum being 4". On the larger Assassin 28 all the shelves have 6" spacing.
Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It limits where taller cuts like a big butt or a brisket with a large point can be in the smoker.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It limits where taller cuts like a big butt or a brisket with a large point can be in the smoker.
I don't see how it is too much of a problem. When compaing to other similar smokers it is pretty standard. On the Stumps most of the spacing is 3.5"; the Rebel is 3.5"; the Superior is 5.5"; the Pitmaker Safe 4.5"; Backwoods Party 4". So, I think that you can see that having a 4", 4.5", 5" and 5.5" does give some options.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
I don't see how it is too much of a problem. When compaing to other similar smokers it is pretty standard. On the Stumps most of the spacing is 3.5"; the Rebel is 3.5"; the Superior is 5.5"; the Pitmaker Safe 4.5"; Backwoods Party 4". So, I think that you can see that having a 4", 4.5", 5" and 5.5" does give some options.
I don't like the spacing on those, either (except the Superior) I cooked on a Rebel 23 this past weekend and if I used one for competitions I would only use three shelves. I would leave out the second shelf down, and not use the bottom shelf. On my Party I had the rails built for 4 equally spaced shelves. 4" or 4.5" just isn't enough clearance for big butts without taking off some rub, so with the stock spacing butts would go on the third shelf down or the bottom shelf. The same would be true for a big brisket. We had one on Saturday that wouldn't fit in the 3.5" shelf spacing on the Rebel, and from looking at it it would have been very tight at 4.5"

I like the equal 6" spacing on the Assassin 28 much better, but the weight would be an issue.

I'm still impressed by your Assassin. It's just that my primary use is for competitions and the tighter spacing on the top two shelves would be limiting for me. I'm sure that Jeff could do one with four equally spaced shelves, or even with one less shelf if asked.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I don't like the spacing on those, either (except the Superior) I cooked on a Rebel 23 this past weekend and if I used one for competitions I would only use three shelves. I would leave out the second shelf down, and not use the bottom shelf. On my Party I had the rails built for 4 equally spaced shelves. 4" or 4.5" just isn't enough clearance for big butts without taking off some rub, so with the stock spacing butts would go on the third shelf down or the bottom shelf. The same would be true for a big brisket. We had one on Saturday that wouldn't fit in the 3.5" shelf spacing on the Rebel, and from looking at it it would have been very tight at 4.5"

I like the equal 6" spacing on the Assassin 28 much better, but the weight would be an issue.

I'm still impressed by your Assassin. It's just that my primary use is for competitions and the tighter spacing on the top two shelves would be limiting for me. I'm sure that Jeff could do one with four equally spaced shelves, or even with one less shelf if asked.
I'm sure that they can be built with optional spacing. I will have to experiment with the spacing and use of the shelves. I'm not a competition cooker but I hope to cook a mixture of meats (brisket, butts, ribs) all at the same time.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #26
FLAQUE
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

very nice and thanks for the video!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #28
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job on the video, I know you will really enjoy your cooker as you get to use it more and more. I just use a chimney for start up, and load up the chute after I've dumped in the hot coals. I have a rebel 17 and love it, I have to agree that for me anything short of 6" clearance really limits what you can cook on those lower shelves. You can always take one out which is what I would do, for loading one up with big meats. But it's nice to have that extra shelf for stuff like ribs, and man these verticals are a rib cooking machine.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #29
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Nice video, great smoker. I am sure you will enjoy it. One thing I started doing with my gravity feed smokers was cut a small piece of plate and put it over the charcoal chute under the lid, that will keep all of the mositure inside the cute and keep the top of the charcoal cute and the gasket dry. It works for me.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
Nice video, great smoker. I am sure you will enjoy it. One thing I started doing with my gravity feed smokers was cut a small piece of plate and put it over the charcoal chute under the lid, that will keep all of the mositure inside the cute and keep the top of the charcoal cute and the gasket dry. It works for me.
Good idea. Thanks.