MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ View Post
I use pecan logs is mine. Will put a small bed of charcoal under wood when first light to have instant coals. Once it gets up to temp it burns 2 logs about every 1.5 hours and I always cook at 225.
Thanks, Rubb'n! I think I am going to try you and DownHomeQue's way. I will use a charcoal base and fuel it with wood. I'll see what comes of it.

I thought about doing a mod on the firebox to get it to at least 24x24x24 but I don't know if it could be done or if it's worth it.
gsobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
NC-Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Been cooking hogs on cookers like that since I was a kid! That's a quintessential NC cooker if there ever was one. That firebox is pretty small, but I always do a combo of a good oak or hickory fire burning in the firebox, then shoveling some coals from a fire burning in a barrel around the edge of the cooker. Pile in a bunch near the end to crisp up the skin and get some good cracklin'.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
NC-Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah, so PM me if you have any questions, used to have one almost exactly like it.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
tonytort
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cant wait to see it cleaned up and painted. Have you considered having a larger fire box built on?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #20
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Is that a stack on the back? I've never seen a smoker with 3 OR 4. Could someone explain to me why so many? Thanks.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

NC-Q, I am considering modifying the firebox because I really want to use it as a smoker. I was just trying to figure with was best to completely take the old one off or some kind of way just add the extra metal to it.

Tony T, I will definitely put some pics up when I finish it on Sat. It may not be the most beautiful paint job since I am a fresh DIYer. LOL! Will definitely post pics though.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Mike, That's not a fourth stack. It's actually a pipe with an old window weight to leverage the weight of the lid.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey guys check out the new pics. Me and my 14 yo son painted the smoker this past weekend. He is just as excited about firing it up as I am. Of course, he just loves to eat, too!

So it looks like Friday is going to be the "fire it up" day. My in-laws are coming in the evening and what better way to greet them with a few slabs of ribs and chicken.

I am going to try some of your suggestions of using wood. I will use charcoal to get it started and hickory the rest of the way. If I'm not on the right track stop me let me know, if I am on the right track I'll send you all nice bbq pron on Sunday night or Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted1.jpg (5.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg painted2.jpg (5.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg painted3.jpg (60.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg painted4.jpg (50.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg painted5.jpg (64.9 KB, 99 views)

Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Also, I am picking up new tires for it tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions for temperature thermometers?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
aawa
Babbling Farker

That is definitely a carolina hog cooker. The firebox is there to burn the wood down to the coals and with hog cookers, you put the coal into the actual cooker below the hog for direct heat. I see a bunch of these style cookers in around VA Beach during pig pickins.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Fellas, I cleaned out the grill and firebox when I got home to find something interesting.

The first picture is the hole in the firebox. The heat then goes into like a long heat duct (second picture) across the length of the chamber and arrives at the third stack which controls the heat.

So no smoke actually gets to the chamber from the firebox but it heats the chamber.

Unless I get this modified, I really have no choice but to smoke from the chamber which I really don't have a problem with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grillsetup1.jpg (53.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg grillsetup2.jpg (62.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg grillsetup3.jpg (44.6 KB, 87 views)

Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

I have a smoker that is made out of a 275 gal tank. It is reverse flow so the cook chamber is a little smaller, but my firebox is 28" x 28" x 28" so I would agree you need a much larger firebox.

What is the diameter of those smoke stacks? That seems like a lot of exhaust volume. You want to make sure the size of the firebox and smoke stacks are proportionate to each other and the size of your cook chamber so you get a good draft without losing too much heat. Check this out for help: http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

As far as Thermometers, the Tel-Tru smoker thermometers are awesome and extremely accurate for a bi-metal thermometer. http://www.teltru.com/s-141-anodized-aluminum-dial.aspx

Edit: Just saw the last two posts. Guess I should have read that first It would definitely work well as-is for a hog cooker as aawa described. If you want to modify it into a sweet reverse flow pit, you would just have to remove that end stack, seal up the end and open that duct up on that side, plus build a larger firebox. Either way it is a nice piece to have! If you cook a whole hog on that thing you gotta post some pics. Or better yet I'm coming down there to eat some!

Last edited by smokeinthenoke; 05-08-2013 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Didn't read far enough.
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeinthenoke View Post
I have a smoker that is made out of a 275 gal tank. It is reverse flow so the cook chamber is a little smaller, but my firebox is 28" x 28" x 28" so I would agree you need a much larger firebox.

What is the diameter of those smoke stacks? That seems like a lot of exhaust volume. You want to make sure the size of the firebox and smoke stacks are proportionate to each other and the size of your cook chamber so you get a good draft without losing too much heat. Check this out for help: http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

As far as Thermometers, the Tel-Tru smoker thermometers are awesome and extremely accurate for a bi-metal thermometer. http://www.teltru.com/s-141-anodized-aluminum-dial.aspx

Edit: Just saw the last two posts. Guess I should have read that first It would definitely work well as-is for a hog cooker as aawa described. If you want to modify it into a sweet reverse flow pit, you would just have to remove that end stack, seal up the end and open that duct up on that side, plus build a larger firebox. Either way it is a nice piece to have! If you cook a whole hog on that thing you gotta post some pics. Or better yet I'm coming down there to eat some!

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I am at the level to do a hog yet. I just want to get this going to see how some spares and chicken come out. Once I master those then I'll try a hog.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobbq View Post
Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I am at the level to do a hog yet. I just want to get this going to see how some spares and chicken come out. Once I master those then I'll try a hog.
You can do spares and chicken on it. The cooker is large enough that you can cook on indirect heat with coals in the cooking chamber.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

That is a setup i've never come across before but if it works, it works. I'd think about opening up that "duct" to allow smoke to get into the cooking chamber. You could do a reverse flow or for simplicity's sake, drill holes in the duct and there you go. Granted you'd need a fair amount of holes if you used a 1/2" bit or if you had a larger one it'd go quicker. I'd probably just drill the holes and see how she runs then adjust as necessary.

I really don't think you'll have trouble keeping it up to temp even with a small firebox. I have a 24x24x24 firebox on mine and the size of the fire i have going will fit inside your firebox no problem. I'd suggest a grate on the bottom to let air get underneith it though.

As for thermometers, I've had tel-tru's on mine for about 8 years and they still function just fine.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
275, charcoal, firebox, offset, smoker, techniques, wood