MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
KiltedKurmudgeon
Got Wood.

I was a bit concerned about having enough travel for some of the meats I use. I think the Wally-World MC might be out then. Unfortunately, my nearest stores are a Walmart 25 miles away that doesn't stock slicers (or a lot of other appliances), and Sears, Sam's, Khols, etc. 125 miles away, so actually looking at different models isn't happening unless I happen to be up there.

I thought I'd be done debating this by now. I'm really starting to lean toward a Rival 1110, just because I pretty much know what to expect...plus it's such a simple and solid design that if anything breaks or dies I can likely fix it.

The Kalorik looks decent too, but I think it's nearly the same dimensions as the MC at WalMart. It's hard to tell from the pics, especially since they're all at angles. I haven't managed to find a straight pic of any of them. If the blade diameter is listed it's easy to overlay a grid and figure out the dimensions...a ruler on the screen will do it too, but that's not "nerdy" enough.

And so the search resumes...
KiltedKurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedKurmudgeon View Post
I was a bit concerned about having enough travel for some of the meats I use. I think the Wally-World MC might be out then. Unfortunately, my nearest stores are a Walmart 25 miles away that doesn't stock slicers (or a lot of other appliances), .
You can pay and order on-line and pick up at your Walmart Store.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
KiltedKurmudgeon
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
You can pay and order on-line and pick up at your Walmart Store.
I do site-to-store frequently. I decided to not get that particular model because it's capacity to handle wide slabs of meat, like my bacon, is lacking.

I wound up getting the Rival 1100. I had to get a blade for it, but it was good to go otherwise. It's well built, simple, easy to fix. Too bad they don't build that one anymore. It's big enough to handle those bacon slabs, medium size roasts and hams, etc. I'm already working near its size limit, but it's unlikely I'll be needing to cut anything bigger any time soon. I have a friend who is a butcher and another with a restaurant so if I need a bigger slicer I have access to one.
KiltedKurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
I too have a Chef Choice for at least 5-6 years and have been happy with it for the price. I am now finding that the about of jerky and bacon I have been making is taking its toll and am looking for a new one. This is what I am thinking about but have not had time to research it yet completely:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avan.../177SL310.html

I just picked up one of these off of ebay for $270 shipped. I got it late last week and have only sliced some salami. It easily sliced it thin enough you could see through it. It is very well built and seems like a steal for the price. Will be doing some jerky this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-BLADE-COM...E:L:OC:US:3160

Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If one can afford it a Toledo or a Hobart, sometimes you can find one at auction or the school system put them up on a bid.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestar View Post
I just picked up one of these off of ebay for $270 shipped. I got it late last week and have only sliced some salami. It easily sliced it thin enough you could see through it. It is very well built and seems like a steal for the price. Will be doing some jerky this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-BLADE-COM...E:L:OC:US:3160
How large is this thing? I am considering it but done have counter space so it will be stored...

Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
How large is this thing? I am considering it but done have counter space so it will be stored...

It is 20" x 18" +/- with the carriage on. 20" x 11" with the carriage off.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestar View Post
It is 20" x 18" +/- with the carriage on. 20" x 11" with the carriage off.
How heavy is it? Manageable to move when it is not in use?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
How heavy is it? Manageable to move when it is not in use?
I would guess about 30 lbs.