Paul Kirks School of Pitmasters

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I will be taking this class next weekend and have been going over the list of what to bring.It sounds like what some of you have said about getting ready for competion. I will be setting up on Fri. night and and taking the RV as there are several others spending the night.Bought a trailer to haul the 'Dera and etc, (i've been wanting one anyway).The class is twelve hours long so it sounds about like a competion without the pressure.I hope i don't get the "bug". :roll:

Prepare to be told what a "crutch" foil is! :D Mr. Kirk thinks foil is a tool of the 'debil'! :twisted:

It should be a good course and you'll get to eat a great meal at the end. Report what you find out, please! :D

I don't know about his course, but I met Paul last May. He was an extemely nice guy. Very friendly and very knowledgeable without the attitude of some of the other supposed bbq gurus. I do know that his cookbooks are very good. Have a good time.

BrooklynQ said:
I don't know about his course, but I met Paul last May. He was an extemely nice guy. Very friendly and very knowledgeable without the attitude of some of the other supposed bbq gurus. I do know that his cookbooks are very good. Have a good time.

You didn't meet Paul Kirk, it must have been someone else.

:D

Maybe he was having an "off" day!

I do know that if you must disagree with Mr. Kirk you do so at your own peril.... :twisted:

Keep your opinions about 165 and foil and a cooler to yourself!! :D

Have fun, keep your mouth shut, and ears open! :mrgreen:

I took Paul Kirk's class in February. There is still some pressure as 12 hours is not enough time to get everything done! lol I enjoyed the class and didn't have any problem with Paul Kirk. He does have some attitude and a sharp sense of humor but I had no problem with that at all. It is run almost like a competition as you get teamed with a partner, prepare the meats, then judge by KCBS rules at the end. My partner and I thought our brisket was lousy, and wound up getting first place!!! Took second overall. Mostly what I used at the contest was a tray, tongs, thermometer, and my knife. Just go and have a great time!

I loaded the Dera on the trailer yesterday so i wouldn't have any suprises on Fri..today i had the urge so i uncovered the WSM that i haven't used since i got the Dera and put on a pork loin roast and i'm going fishing tomorrow.(Pork sammiches) Just one problem i'm so bored i keep checking on the WSM and it don't need me,I want to feel needed and play with fire.I hope the OL don't catch on :wink:

I hope you have a great weekend! Don't let the time restraints put a monkey on your back. The biggest thing is to not get wrapped around the axle over any one thing not going well.

I think I'm just going to que-up all the rib trimmings from last weekend - I must have 5 or more pounds left from the spare ribs we cooked for Mobile! Already seasoned, too. :D

Had a great day and learned a lot.We took 1st in chicken and fourth in pulled pork,fouth over all. We made our own rub for the chicken and ribs and i think we used to much on the ribs. I wore the Brethern hat and apron, so you will know our picture. http://www.aztraegergrills.com/

Congrats Mr. Smoker. Way to represent the Brethren.

Tried your link, but it did not work.

By the way, which Paul Kirk showed up, the nice one or the jerk?

Paul was alright i met him Fri evening when arrived from NY City so got to here some of his BS that the class don't hear.He comes here once a year and likes AZ.BTW try the link again it should work now.

Thanks Bigdog,yes i did post about my Mods. I think it was "Dera al Cart"

Back