MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

Default Forged or Stamped knives - Help me decide on a set.

K so I am deciding which set of knives to buy at the moment. I know the immediate answer most people would give would be FORGED all the way, but these forshner-victorinox stamped knives look pretty interesting and got good reviews.

Here are the 2 sets I'm looking at:

FORGED: set ~ $125
http://www.amazon.com/Anolon-Advance...5955460&sr=1-1
they got unanimously great reviews on Amazon and other places on the web, dont know anyone personally that has them

STAMPED: set ~ $175
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fib...ref=pd_sim_k_4
I would have to buy these piece by piece as they dont really sell them in a block set like the Anolon but I could build a comparable set to the forged for about $50 more. Has almost perfect reviews as well.

I am a knife noob. Does anyone have any advice to sway me one way or the other, what advantages over the other does each have? Does anyone have either of these specific sets? Please teach me about knives. If anyone has any other recommendations in the sub $200 range please feel free to speak up.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Typically, forged is better, IMO. However, quality of material is what you really should be looking for. A Wusthof stamped knife is going to be better than many, many forged knives.

I don't know Anolon, but Forschner has great stamped knives.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Bacchus
On the road to being a farker

Why do you feel you need a "set"? Typically a good quality Chef's knife and maybe a pairing or utility knife is all that is needed. I could see adding one made for slicing but no need for anything else. As far as serrated bread type knifes are concerned, might as well buy a cheapie and replace it in a couple years. They typically dont hold an edge anyway.
If you have hundred bucks to spend, do so on a Shun 8-10" chefs knife.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Why do you feel you need a "set"? Typically a good quality Chef's knife and maybe a pairing or utility knife is all that is needed. I could see adding one made for slicing but no need for anything else. As far as serrated bread type knifes are concerned, might as well buy a cheapie and replace it in a couple years. They typically dont hold an edge anyway.
Not a bad idea to build your own set.

10" Chefs Knife
Boning Knife
12" or 14" gratan slicer
Santuko gratan knife (great for chopping, minicing, etc.)
Shear

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Bacchus
On the road to being a farker

If you have $200 available for cutlery, throw down on this bad boy an d worry about the other pieces later.
http://www.amazon.com/Onion-Shun-8-I...6472379&sr=8-2

Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I dont need a set, but the price on that Anolon set is so low now that its hard to pass up. In addition to the necessary knives, I do want some decent steak knives and also a decent bread knife. I have a cheapo bread knife at the moment and its sucked since day 1.

So leaving out the set/non-set debate, which do you guys think would be better knives? If you had to make the choice. If it were one knife vs. one knife.

I'll record the votes and go with the winner this afternoon.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I tried to look up the Anolon set in Consumer Reports and didn't see it. I noticed that there was a comparably priced set of forged knives which was a Best Buy that you might want to consider called Ginsu Chikara. I know nothing about them.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Cory430
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have some of the Forschner knives and feel that they are an incredible value for the money. I like them better than my Henckels.
Cory430 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
thillin

The Victorinox Forschners are hard to pass up. I have a wood handel boning knife that is my kitchen workhorse. Had if longer than any other knife. I can put an edge on easily as well.

Any of my higher end knives, are harder to sharpen and usually get taken for professional sharpening once a year or so.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Check out the knife reviews on America's Test Kitchen too. They are usually pretty spot on in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

I just finished my Wusthof Classic collection that I have been working on for about 5 years now. I was very surprised to find the 10” classic super slicer on e-bay (NEW) for half the cost (delivered) than what I could find it for on line.

Check e-bay, you might be surprised at what you might find there.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasePig View Post
Check out the knife reviews on America's Test Kitchen too. They are usually pretty spot on in my opinion.
and here's what won:

Inexpensive Chef's Knives

Update: January, 2007 During the last two years, we have published or updated four reviews of chef's knives. During this time, our recommended knife has been and continues to be the Victorinox Fibrox 8-inch chef's knife.
http://www.cookscountry.com/pwlogin....0&area=testing

I like the 12-inch size: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut.../dp/B001XCWM4G

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
landarc

I tried out the Anaolon knives for a lark, they are nicely balanced and seemed to cut well enough. They are reasonably well machine hammer forged and will work fine. I have used the Forshner knives shown and those were good as well, they are not fine knives, but are excellent restaurant grade knives that can take and hold an excellent edge. They are certainly priced right.

For the record, I really disagreed with Cooks Illustrated on their selection of the Victorinox over the Wusthof, sure there is a price difference, but, for the best chef's knife, they weight price too high. The Wusthof Classic 10" chef is an outstanding knife, and I have used both extensively. Of course, if price was not object, I would like a Masahiro or Shun 2.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
wayner123
Got Wood.

why not go the ultra cheap route and get a set of kiwi knives?
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I love my Henckels. The 10 inch chef is my work horse. I built the set one at a time as I could afford them. I'm not familiar wi the brand you mentioned but I always believed that forged held the edge better.

The above posts are all good but I always thought that a knife will last many lifetimes. Buy the best you can afford and invest in a good manual sharpener. I use a WartHog. Simple and easy to use. Also have just recently seen the Edgepro and it looks awsome.

If I were you I would not put this to a vote, make up your own mind so you have no one to blame but yourself if it's wrong.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forged, forshner, knives, stamped, victorinox