MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default **Egg Table project**

OK - I'm mounting my Eggs in an industrial Metro cart. This is 60"x24"x41" with 4" wheels. The shelves that Storables sell are rated for 300lbs per shelf and they don't have the additional truss bracing mine have so I'm confident that they can support 2 Larges with platesetters and stones.
http://www.storables.com/Shop/Shelving/Steel-Shelving/

I took one of the shelves and cut the ends off and made removable 16" side tables.

The one thing I don't care for with my wood frame table is lifting the Eggs in and out through the top, so I've just got a frame rail on the front that I can lift off and slide the Eggs on.

**Here is my quandry, do I set the Eggs directly on the wire shelf, use the feet or set it on firebricks? I can see it on a wood frame table, but I'm thinking that its the same as a nest and the air circulation might be a good thing. What do you think??**

I got a couple of these off CL and have about $100 invested so far, I'll post more pics after the storm dies down.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
JD McGee

Those are pretty heavy duty racks...I think directly on the frame will look and work very well.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I was thinking on the rack as well. Can't wait to see pics of the finished tables.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Midnight Smoke

Cool! I like that. I agree that it will look much better sitting right on the rack and can't see any problems with heat damage for a long time. May want to pick up an extra rack if you can for future use unless these can always be bought.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Plowboy

That's a really cool idea, Brian.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
Norcoredneck

Brian, we use these exclusively at work. It is part of "5S" cleanliness routine. We really load them up. They are strong if just sitting there. If you wheel them around with a lot of weight they start to pivot on the plastic inserts. Also if you leave them in the weather the plastic gets brittle and the nickle plate gets like an oxidation after a time. Not bad if you keep covered. On shelfs that bear a big load (we store 2"x48"X48" plates sometimes) we drill and put 1/4" stainless bolts through corners. Does your shelfs have one stringer down the center? You can get a 18X18 tile and RTV it on shelf. It would help distribute the load and make it easiier to slide into place and save knuckles. They are great shelves. Our ultra cleanrooms get the 100% stainless ones.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Brian, we use these exclusively at work. It is part of "5S" cleanliness routine. We really load them up. They are strong if just sitting there. If you wheel them around with a lot of weight they start to pivot on the plastic inserts. Also if you leave them in the weather the plastic gets brittle and the nickle plate gets like an oxidation after a time. Not bad if you keep covered. On shelfs that bear a big load (we store 2"x48"X48" plates sometimes) we drill and put 1/4" stainless bolts through corners. Does your shelfs have one stringer down the center? You can get a 18X18 tile and RTV it on shelf. It would help distribute the load and make it easiier to slide into place and save knuckles. They are great shelves. Our ultra cleanrooms get the 100% stainless ones.
I got these from a guy thats been buying out of business Chinese restaurants, and these are very heavy duty, with 5 truss stringers on each shelf. I got an 18"x48" shelf that was so solid, I couldn't beat it apart and had to use a torch on the corners and melt the plastic wedges! I was thinking of drilling the corners and adding bolts for added stability, but took a look at some we have at work for bus brake linings and they hold way more than mine and decided not to. As far as the rust and oxidation-yeah its gonna happen. I just know as soon as I'm done with this there will be a glut of $100 stainless steel prep tables!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I got these from a guy thats been buying out of business Chinese restaurants, and these are very heavy duty, with 5 truss stringers on each shelf. I got an 18"x48" shelf that was so solid, I couldn't beat it apart and had to use a torch on the corners and melt the plastic wedges! I was thinking of drilling the corners and adding bolts for added stability, but took a look at some we have at work for bus brake linings and they hold way more than mine and decided not to. As far as the rust and oxidation-yeah its gonna happen. I just know as soon as I'm done with this there will be a glut of $100 stainless steel prep tables!
The 3 center stringers are a big plus. we got these edge/bak support deals that slide in to keep things from being pushed off the back/sides. I will see if I can get a pic and post it.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Rick's Tropical Delight

on my carts, i used two pieces of 1x6 fence board and a few firebricks. my thinking was to spread out the load and also protect the wire grid from unecessary heat. i also had to drill the support posts in the corners and add a bolt for strength. your table is obviously stronger so go with whatcha know.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Plowboy

I think BusterDog either welded his center shelf to the posts or put some kind of clamp (like one of those metal hose clamps) under the shelf so that it doesn't slip.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Very sweet idea!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
The 3 center stringers are a big plus. we got these edge/bak support deals that slide in to keep things from being pushed off the back/sides. I will see if I can get a pic and post it.
I have a couple long ones for the back of the shelves. Here are a couple more shots, the side tables look crooked, but I didn't put the wedges in place.

Last edited by swamprb; 12-13-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
JD McGee

Well...is it finished yet?...we're waiting!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote