MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #10576
Tex-Mike
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Questions

Hello everyone. I came upon this site while researching WSM smokers, and since discovering this thread, have scrapped the WSM idea in favor of building a UDS. I'm 50 pages into the thread, and I have a couple of questions. I'm sure these are answered in later posts, but my eyes and brain are starting to hurt!

I found a place that sells food grade drums with the protective liner already removed. My questions are:

1. Can you paint over the existing external paint, or do you need to remove all paint and re-paint?

2. Once the burn-in is completed, do I need to completely scrub the interior clean? That seems counter-productive to me, but it seems that some of the posters have scrubbed theirs shiny on the inside after the burn-in.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. Thanks!
Tex-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #10577
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

You could wash it out with soap. I would then spray the inside with some cheap canola oil then get it real hot... or cook a bunch of fatty foods and coat the inside with some goodness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #10578
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUEL View Post
Hi am new to this ....never smoke o grill that much before searching the web
Came to this awesome place .also my English is not that good ..I just build me a UDS smoker ...using it for the first time today ...some chiken drums and corn
Hope everything goes well
Looks good from here!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #10579
keithbc
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi from sunny hot South Africa, love this forum, have been a lover of bbq since visiting the USA a couple years ago, got all my bits and pieces and will start my uds build this weekend. Will update on build next week.
keithbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #10580
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

Hello from Bone Chilling Cold Indiana. I just got back from Menards with the final pieces! Now headed out to the almost warm garage to start building the uds. Cant wait for the seasoning burn and to break it in with a few fatties and maybe some MOINK Balls!! Will post pics of process SOON!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #10581
t_herrm
Found some matches.

Finally done reading through all 706 pages. Picking up 2 drums on Saturday and getting started. Have my plans all made and my pages of reading notes. Only thing I need to decide on is the intakes. I know the standard is 3 - 3/4" close nipples (two capped and one with ball valve) and a two inch exhaust. I was thinking of doing 1 - 1 1/2" intake with a riser an ball valve and a two inch exhaust. I got the 1 1/2" pipe, nipple, elbow, and ball valve already for free. The 1 1/2" intake has a little more sq inch area than the 3 - 3/4" intakes so I would have all the adjustment of the K.I.S.S. build plus a little extra for those who say a riser limits air flow. Just wondering if anyone has tried this or if I am not thinking of something.

Thanks for everyone's posts. I will post pictures of mine when finished and try to answer others questions when i can.
t_herrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #10582
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ugly Drum Smoker

I have had issues getting my UDS cooking high 300+ with the standard set up as you mentioned previously. I added a 3" draft to the bung hole and also added a fourth intake 1.5" with a cap.

I have not tested this new set up yet but am looking fwd to it. Curious to see how yours goes with just the single 1.5" intake. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_herrm View Post
I was thinking of doing 1 - 1 1/2" intake with a riser an ball valve and a two inch exhaust. I got the 1 1/2" pipe, nipple, elbow, and ball valve already for free. The 1 1/2" intake has a little more sq inch area than the 3 - 3/4" intakes so I would have all the adjustment of the K.I.S.S. build plus a little extra for those who say a riser limits air flow. Just wondering if anyone has tried this or if I am not thinking of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #10583
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

quick question. I'm building my fifth drum but this time using a dome lid to have 2 racks. Top rack down 1" or 2" below the lip? 2nd rack is still 8" down from the lip of the barrel? thanks
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #10584
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
quick question. I'm building my fifth drum but this time using a dome lid to have 2 racks. Top rack down 1" or 2" below the lip? 2nd rack is still 8" down from the lip of the barrel? thanks
That's about where mine go.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #10585
dcbielby
Found some matches.

Awesome Thread!! Gathering parts slowly but surely. Can't wait to start the build. (cold in MI right now and I hate cold. Still reading in the 400's. No questions. (go figure) Just wanted to say Awesome Thread. Pics will follow.......

Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #10586
dcbielby
Found some matches.

Alright, I have finally finished the thread an unfortunely have to correct myself. I have one question. In the last 300 posts there has been mention that people have sent a couple UDS's to junk yards. Is this because they rusted out? I would think that painting them would pretty much stop the rust on the outside and of course seasoning on the inside would prevent rust on the inside. Am I missing something? I also see that different people use different paints: High Heat, Spray and roll on, and powder coated. Can a few comment on how long their UDS is lasting with the different paint jobs, for instance wear and tear. Do they stay as nice looking as they start or do they all have to be touched up? Hopefully I don't sound to stupid. And yes, guested that ended up being more than 1 question.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #10587
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbielby View Post
Alright, I have finally finished the thread an unfortunely have to correct myself. I have one question. In the last 300 posts there has been mention that people have sent a couple UDS's to junk yards. Is this because they rusted out? I would think that painting them would pretty much stop the rust on the outside and of course seasoning on the inside would prevent rust on the inside. Am I missing something? I also see that different people use different paints: High Heat, Spray and roll on, and powder coated. Can a few comment on how long their UDS is lasting with the different paint jobs, for instance wear and tear. Do they stay as nice looking as they start or do they all have to be touched up? Hopefully I don't sound to stupid. And yes, guested that ended up being more than 1 question.
I am also curious on how long they last. I heard that the ash if left in barrel can make it rust but I would think that may only be if water is left In it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #10588
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I used a hvlp spray gun and rust o leum BBQ black paint from a quart can. 3 years of regular use, still looks good.

I did take the exterior down to shiny bare metal first...

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #10589
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

R u ready for 2009?

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #10590
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=53

Edict.