Cajun Pig Roaster??

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Have any of you ever heard of or used one of these? Do they work well?

For those don't know what it is here is a link: http://www.shoplatintouch.com/p1/Caja-China-style-La-Caja-Asadora/product_info.html

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make one I've been thinking about trying to do whole pig but my cooker isn't big enough and the HOA would have fit if I dug a pit but this might do what I needed and it could be built fairly easily.

Google cajun microwave plans it you want to build one, There have been numerous posts on using them.Just search for La Caja China or something like that.Work great but make sure you have a good supply of charcoal on hand.

I have no experience with that cooker.
Lots of guys/gals on here have.
Some love it, some don't.

I did a search on "Caja China" and was going to point you to some good looking threads.
But, there are too many :-D

Good Luck

TIM

Thanks. I knew you guys would have heard of them. I kind of stumbled across them and am rather intrigued. I think my BIL might have everything to build one too. Hmm...:idea:

If you plan on doing several pigs a year, it's probably worth the effort to build one. My brother has one we built several years ago and it's still in good condition Just keep it out of the weather when not in use.

I've never used one. But when I was in Korea they used them a lot. Many chickens (Least they looked like chickens) at one time, whole hog, etc. Good grub!

This is the link to Louisiana's Al Simon's Cajun Microwaves. To me this is the RR version of the La Caja China model that you see in CA and Miami. There is nothing wrong with either, I just prefer the one made in Louisiana.
http://www.cajunmicrowaves.com/

I have used one to do about 12 chickens at once. They came out good, but no smoke.

It's not really a smoker, but more of super large outside dutch oven. The coals sit on top of the lid and project heat down into the box.

You can get a Smoke injector, that will put smoke in the box, but it is extra.

As to building one, it is a Stainless steel lined plywood box, with a metal lid on it. I think you could make one really easy.

John

Bobby Flay did a "La Caja China" Throwdown episode. I was impressed with the cooker based on that show. I just wouldn't use one enough to justify buying or building one.

CD

Back