MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Brisket in less than 10 hours?

It's Saturday evening after 9 p.m. and my plan to start an overnight cook has just been crushed by a heavy thunderstorm and lots of rain. I thought I do not depend on the weather any more since I have got my pavilion, but it's impossible to prep and start a cook under these conditions.

So I wanted to start the cook at around 10 or 11 p.m. with the brisket to be ready when done tomorrow. My last brisket (report to be found here) was a little heavier than what I have in the fridge right now and was on for 15 hours (with 3 hours casseroled in apple juice).

My actual brisket has a weight of 11.42 lbs before trimming, and the revised plan is now to start the cook at about 8 a.m. to be finished in the evening.

Can a brisket of that weight be done in less than 10 hours?
Any advice on a target temperature higher than 225°F?

This will be my second brisket. My first was a success, but the part with casseroling was pretty much unnecessary and led to slight overcooking (although strangely we like it that way).

Before anybody answers the obvious, I know: "It's done when it's done!"

The decision has to be made tomorrow in the morning, the alternative would be to start the cook tomorrow evening. Right now it looks like it will never stop to rain any more.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cook it at 270 it will take about 6 hrs to get probe tender.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
landarc

Yep, you can most certainly get any weight brisket done in less than 10 hours. I run at 275F usually, but, you can go as high as 325F and get that brisket to probe tender. At 325F, you are looking at around 4-5 hours, at 275F, closer to 7 hours for me.

And no casserole is needed. If you want a more moist product, at 2 hours, put it in a metal pan, add 1/2 inch of liquid, it can even be water, cover with foil and let it cook.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

At 270*, it will take you closer to 11-12 hours to be done. I do 8 to 9 lb flats pretty oftern at 275* and they take right around 9 hours.

I'd put it on with a cook temp of 275* for 6 hours, wrap in foil and crank it up to 300* and it should have you done in the 8-9 hour range which will allow for a 2 hour or so rest before slicing.

When it's probe tender, open the foil to let the steam escape for 10-15 minute, wrap it in fresh foil and pour about a cup of the au jus from the original foil pouch over it and rest it. This will help keep it from over cooking.

Keep the rest of the liquid and seperate the fat while you're waiting for the meat to rest. This will give you a great au jus for dipping.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep it around 300 and smoke it for two hours. Wrap it for four more, at the same temperature, and it will be juicy and tender. Not sure if it makes a difference, or not, but I keep mine fat side up the whole time.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm using an offset smoker too. Not sure if that matters.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

I just took a brisket weighing 11.55 lbs out of my UDS at 12:40 @ 200 degrees. I put this in the smoker at 4:30. I trimmed much of that large fat vein between the flat and point before I rubbed it. Smoker was running about 225/250 degrees mostly. The flat seems very thin on this brisket though so I need to start buying larger briskets and watch the thickness more closely. I just now cubed the point and put them in for burnt ends and I could see a big difference in this brisket compared to the few i have previously smoked that weighed a few lbs more..........................
cheapbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
jestridge

277-300
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you'll be fine, I did one today that hung in the 250* range and it was done right at an hour a pound post-trimmed weight. 275* and i would guess you'd be looking around 45 min. a pound or so. Run it at 300*, finish early, and rest it in the cooler after. Mine rested almost 3 hours in my microwave with some old towels thrown in and it was still too hot to handle with my bare hands.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Boshizzle

I haven't cooked a brisket longer than 4.5 hours in a long time. The notion that brisket can only be good when cooked low and slow is a myth.

Check this out, great bark even when using foil.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=136061

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

I did a brisky in 6 hours. it came out really good.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...97#post2096497
Good luck,
Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

Usually around 4-5 hrs for me. I cook 2 hrs @350 on the top rack of the UDS fat side down, squirt in some mop and wrap in butcher paper. Man it's good eatin. People at cookoffs think I'm crazy when i tell them I cook briskets @350. I hah mixed opinions on this matter. I think you have to be alot better pitmaster to cook at higher temps Because you have a smaller margin of error. Some say it pushes the juices out, some say low and slow dries it out from time. 275 isu favorite cook temp but most of the time, just ain't got no time, so H&F it usually is for me

jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

I used to try and cook around 225f, but my new smoker wants to go to 275. Last night I put a 14 pound brisket, before trimming,on at 3:30 AM. Ran the cooker at 275 andoOut it came at 11:00AM probe tender.
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks a lot for all the hints.

This being my 1st HnF brisket (and my 2nd brisket in total) I cooked it with a target temp zone of 300-325°F within 6 hours. It was a success, but definitely in need of improvement (means I'll try Boshizzle's BlackHawk Brisket Version 2.0 method next time).

I'll post a full report of my 11th Cook shortly.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

350 for 4-5 hours works great for me. After about 2 check for internal at or near 160, wrap in foil or butcher paper, (no added liquid) and back on till it probes " like buttah" rest the flat, cube the point and back in till done as u like it

Used to do low and slow, my results were way less consistent. H&F comes out great every time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote