Meat Slicer's Weston 61-0901-W Heavy Duty 9-Inch vs EdgeCraft Chef's Choice 610 Premium Electric Food Slicer

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Looking at these two.

The Chef's Choice 610 appears to be a favorite around here. It only weighs in at 13 LB's

Amazon.com: EdgeCraft 610 Chef's Choice Premium Electric Food Slicer: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V846S071L.@@AMEPARAM@@41V846S071L

The Weston has a 9" blade and weighs in at 39 LB's

Amazon.com: Weston 61-0901-W Heavy Duty Food 9-Inch Slicer: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41u%2BTezZ34L.@@AMEPARAM@@41u%2BTezZ34L

I am thinking the Weston may be a heavier duty unit due to the weight itself. Both about the same in price but I had never heard of a Weston.

Reviews are okay, looks like the blade speed it a Con on both but that is probably normal with this price range of slicers.

I am looking for an all around unit for meat, cheese and anything else you would normally use a slicer for.

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have the weston although the one I have is under another brand name but it's the same slicer. It's OK the only problem I have with it is you can't get super thin slices out of it. It's better than no slicer at all and it was a great gift from my wife although if I had my choice I would spend a couple more bucks and get one that could slice just a little thinner.

This is about the thinnest I can get the slices without them breaking apart. I'd say it's between 1/8 and 1/4 in.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

I have the weston also. I have had several different makes of slicers that were meant for home use. I can say they are ok at best. They never seem to last more than a few years. I would try to save up and get a small professional slicer like you see at the restaurant depot. Or a used unit off Craigslist.

100 view and 3 responses, maybe this should be in Woodpile. I did find this review on a 662 slicer, how valid is is?

"WORTH EVERY DOLLAR !!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS MY SECOND SLICER I HAVE HAD IN TWENTY FIVE YEARS. I JUST LOVE THIS ONE. IT DOES EVERYTHING THAT IT SHOULD. THIS PRODUCT IS WORTH EVERY DOLLAR. I CAN'T WAIT TO SLICE SOMETHING WITH IT.
LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"

I guess I will need to wait until the fool uses it!

I love my 610. Slices thin and cuts through frozen. Best part is ease of diss-assembly for cleaning. Great occasional slicer. Not familiar with others.

I own the chef's choice. It works ok but if you want rice paper thin meat slices you have to spend at least $400 on one.

I picked this one up for $125 off of craigslist.

It is an old Globe, but it will do the job I need it to.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322721630.856479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322721630.856479.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 179
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322721654.786494.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322721654.786494.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 178
I did the same as ^^.

I got a Hobart for under $100 a few years ago off of Ebay. It is old, weighs a ton, but is still a mean cutting machine.

I would think about what you want to do with it. I have a waring pro which is similar to the ones that you are asking about. These less-expensive slicers are what they are. It will get you nice uniform slices of relative thinness and are easier than a knife, but I wouldn't expect to get the paper thin slices you get at the deli. If that suites your needs, go with one of these. If it doesn't, I would either save up or check craigs list for a nicer used one.

One thing I've learned in my quest to find a good meat slicer is that they DO NOT come cheap. I've tried everything from those cheap (I'm being polite) Waring Pro ones with the serrated blade, all the way up to 3K automatics.

I wanted one to slice just meats, such as prosciutto, bacon, and corned beef. What I found was that there wasn't much under 3K that could handle stuff that big. So I settled for something much smaller but with decent horsepower and a good blade speed.

I checked Craigslist daily as I know there are TONS of foreclosure sales on restaurants these days. I was on the lookout for Omcan, Berkel, and Axis slicers because I had tried all of these in stores and they were all beautiful pieces of equipment. It was only a matter of a couple of weeks before I found a great slicer for an amazing price.

I found a excellent condition Omcan 11" slicer for 300 bucks. These things run about $1200 in the store. I would NOT waste my money on anything less than a 10" slicer with at least a .35HP motor.

These are investments! Just like meat grinders, you'll see slicers that are 20-30 years old. Properly maintained they can last generations. And if you get one that's half-decent, you'll have no problem sourcing any of the wearable parts.

x2t4k6.jpg

One thing I've learned in my quest to find a good meat slicer is that they DO NOT come cheap. I've tried everything from those cheap (I'm being polite) Waring Pro ones with the serrated blade, all the way up to 3K automatics.

I wanted one to slice just meats, such as prosciutto, bacon, and corned beef. What I found was that there wasn't much under 3K that could handle stuff that big. So I settled for something much smaller but with decent horsepower and a good blade speed.

I checked Craigslist daily as I know there are TONS of foreclosure sales on restaurants these days. I was on the lookout for Omcan, Berkel, and Axis slicers because I had tried all of these in stores and they were all beautiful pieces of equipment. It was only a matter of a couple of weeks before I found a great slicer for an amazing price.

I found a excellent condition Omcan 11" slicer for 300 bucks. These things run about $1200 in the store. I would NOT waste my money on anything less than a 10" slicer with at least a .35HP motor.

These are investments! Just like meat grinders, you'll see slicers that are 20-30 years old. Properly maintained they can last generations. And if you get one that's half-decent, you'll have no problem sourcing any of the wearable parts.

x2t4k6.jpg

That is a beauty! I know what you mean about getting what you pay for. I will be watching CL but may need to settle for what I can afford right now.

I've had a Cabela's slicer. Pain in the butt to clean! I have a heavy Hobart that I bought when a local Albertson's closed. I love it, but it lives in the garage. It's worth it when a large job comes up.

More often than not I use a little 610. The thinner the slice, the colder I get the meat! Three lbs. of thin sliced summer sausage and 5 lbs of cheese is no problem. 20-30 lbs. of pork loin purchased for $2/lb. at Sam's have us stocked up on chops for a long time, and my wife can Foodsaver them almost as fast as I'm slicing.

The biggest limitation for me has been the blade size. There are some cuts that it just can't handle. I'm fine cutting a rib roast by hand to get steaks. I'm fine slicing brisket by hand. Slicing corned beef or pastrami by hand, and getting deli thin slices? I haul the big dog in the house because I can't do that consistently by hand and the 610 is too small. Other than that, it's worth more than what we paid in convenience. BTW, check Walmart after Christmas. My wife bought it in the closeout section for $29 several years ago:)

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1866447 said:
That is a beauty! I know what you mean about getting what you pay for. I will be watching CL but may need to settle for what I can afford right now.

That's what I'm getting at and I'm 100% with you. I just couldn't bring myself to throwing money at something I won't he happy with or that may need replacing in a few years (if that).

Truth be told, before I could afford a good meat slicer, I decided (upon the many Brethren recommendations) to go buy one of these (I'm dead serious).

Amazon.com: Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife with Fibrox Handle: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411Xx6vzTpL.@@AMEPARAM@@411Xx6vzTpL

I've had a 610 for a few months and I like it - really easy to clean. I just wish it was a little bigger - not a big deal though - seems to be good enough for what I've needed it for so far (mainly slicing bacon).

Chef's Choice 632 International Gourmet VariTilt Electric Food Slicer

I have the 632 for a couple of years now.. got it at Amazon - and like it - does a good job! - bit more expensive than the 610.. goes for about $299.=

41QXQDZMMEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I make a lot of Bresaola and Lonzino, cured airdried beef and pork, which has to be cut very thin..
it does a great job on that -

HPIM1356_640x480.JPG

also use it for slicing raw beef for carpaccio
and various cheeses for Raclette/Stone grilling

had a cheaper one before, and found out, I had to spend the money twice...:doh:

Last edited:
After reading some posts from some non brain dead folks Wrench H in particular, Waring Pro rang a bell. Just to clarify that is what type of slicer I have and is the one in the pictures. You can see by the lever style adjustment for thickness it isn't exactly a precise adjustment. I would tell you to stay away but if your low on dough it does beat not having one at all. :-D

Back