MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #61
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Anyone else notice SRF is still selling 4lb Pork Collars?
Nothing wrong with that. But if a cook uses one in KCBS that's a problem for them. They are cheating and if it's discovered then it's a 2 year ban on competition at a minimum. Not worth the risk.
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #62
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

So when do you all think they will want to come around and weight the pork before it goes onto the pit? maybe they should start tagging the pork and have a representative come around before turn in and make sure that is what is being turned in?
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #63
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaway View Post
So when do you all think they will want to come around and weight the pork before it goes onto the pit? maybe they should start tagging the pork and have a representative come around before turn in and make sure that is what is being turned in?
I've had that conversation with people in the last couple of weeks. If you do it for pork are you going to do it for the other categories? How long will it take to tag the 36 chicken thighs some people choose to cook? What do you think the 'tag fee' would end up being? Will we go to different turn in windows for different teams the way some 'tagged contests' are run?

It's a solution, but it's a complicated one to implement.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #64
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I've had that conversation with people in the last couple of weeks. If you do it for pork are you going to do it for the other categories? How long will it take to tag the 36 chicken thighs some people choose to cook? What do you think the 'tag fee' would end up being? Will we go to different turn in windows for different teams the way some 'tagged contests' are run?

It's a solution, but it's a complicated one to implement.

It just depends on how far everyone is willing to go I believe a simple and more effective solution would be that they hire guy's like you to go around and police every team and if violators are found then before awards we line the perps up and execute them and grade your marksmanship skills......
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #65
swamprb

Default The Grocer advertises Boneless Pork Butt......

Quote:
Check out this weekly advertisement:

http://www.uwajimaya.com/weeklyspecials.html

Center cut Kurobata Pork Butt $5.99 lb.

I know of 60 cases of Boneless Pork Butt Collar Trim that is destined for Hot Pots in the Seattle area this week!

Wonder how they label it if you were to ask for the whole Butt? 5 pounds please!
Joe Average walks into the Meat Dept. of his Asian or Hispanic Market and asks for a 5lb Boneless Pork Butt that is the advertised special of the week, shows up at a comp and tell me again WTF the KCBS Reps are going to do????

Give me a break!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #66
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Somehow, it doesn't seem like it's been Joe Average that's been having trouble complying with the rules.

Nevertheless, it is incumbent on each cook to be aware of the rules and advisories, and comply accordingly.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #67
Jorge

Quote:
Joe Average walks into the Meat Dept. of his Asian or Hispanic Market and asks for a 5lb Boneless Pork Butt that is the advertised special of the week, shows up at a comp and tell me again WTF the KCBS Reps are going to do????

Give me a break!
I guess I'm missing your point. What is it, and what is your proposed solution?

I'll wait to read the Rep Advisory to see if it reflects what I heard from the BoD meeting.

Based on your question....if the Rep recognizes that somebody has shown up with a cut that isn't legal they won't approve it. Next question?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #68
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I have never had a "rep" inspect my meat. It is always someone from the organizer. Some times when I arrive and have the meat inspected, the rep is no where to be seen. Just saying, this will prove almost impossible to police and enforce. I still think it is up the the integrity of the cooks and it they don't have any, then they will do what ever they think is necessary to win.

Christ, the easy way around it is go to Sam's, buy a double pack of cryovac pork butts and have them inspected all season. As long as you keep them cold, they won't grow much mold and the cryovac will keep the odor intact. Keep your real item somewhere else. It really is that simple to cheat. I might recommend that at the end of the season, dispose of the meat at a toxic waste facility
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #69
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Cheaters are still going to cheat, but now at least the honest folks will know for sure what is and is not legal.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #70
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Exactly why folks use it for slicing... Plus the white meat (loin) it surrounded by darkmeat as well. So you get the best of both worlds. White loin meat, surrounded by dark meat and fat...
Sounds like a killer Money Muscle to me...and for those folks that do combo boxes...a possible advantage in taste and texture (which...I think...is the reason for this discussion)...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #71
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I guess I'm missing your point. What is it, and what is your proposed solution?

I'll wait to read the Rep Advisory to see if it reflects what I heard from the BoD meeting.

Based on your question....if the Rep recognizes that somebody has shown up with a cut that isn't legal they won't approve it. Next question?

All that I am trying to get across is that around here, they are being sold as Boneless Korobuta Pork Butts.

I have no solution, I'm a consumer, they were offered to me as Boneless Butts to try, and I made sure they weighed 5lbs or more.

As a competitor, I feel I followed the rules at the time. Unlike those that ordered 4lb. Pork Collars from Snake River Farms.

At the time I figured they were Money muscle meat trimmed out. My butcher calls them CT Butts or close trim Butts, he never referred to them as Pork Collars, I just happened to see a packing carton from a slaughterhouse out of Iowa that said Boneless Pork Butt Collar Trim on the labels.

I'll never again them use them in a comp, and I admit I probably can't cook one for slicing that would be moist enough worth turning in anyway.

....now about that list of top teams??......
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #72
swamprb

Default **Not a US cut??**

#407 cut from the shoulder

Product of USA

Awaiting shipment for an advertised Weekly Special as Boneless Pork Butt at a local market.

Just sayin'.....
Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #73
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

It seems to be terminology that folks don't like. A 407 cut should be fine not matter what the label says on it. Cellar trim, collar trim, center trim. I'd be willing to bet all 3 terms might be used interchangably by some butchers.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #74
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
It seems to be terminology that folks don't like. A 407 cut should be fine not matter what the label says on it. Cellar trim, collar trim, center trim. I'd be willing to bet all 3 terms might be used interchangably by some butchers.
And probably more with the Niche or Heritage breeds.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #75
swamprb

http://www.kurobutameats.com/

Kurobuta Berkshire LLC
51600 295th Street
Austin, MN 55912

Phone: 507-440-6685
Fax: 800-507-0757
[email protected]

Welcome to Kurobuta Berkshire LLC
Our mission is to provide our customers with the best tasting pork in the world. Customers desiring Berkshire pork expect the very best tasting natural pork. Kurobuta Berkshire LLC has a complete farm to customer quality program to ensure customer satisfaction. We provide sustainably produced, all natural quality pork products to elite foodservice customers.

Our pork products qualify for the American Berkshire Association 100% Pure Berkshire Pork label. This is the most comprehensive third party audit program available to Berkshire pork producers, chefs and consumers.

We provide pork products cut in the Japanese style as well as American pork cuts. We can supply true Kurobuta pork cuts such as single rib bellies, collar (CT) butts, boneless full loins, tenderloins and boneless hams.

Collar (CT) butts Single rib bellies

Value cuts for chefs.

Boneless sirloin chops/roasts Boneless top loin chops/roasts

Get the great Berkshire taste and tenderness with a reduced portion/serving cost by using these cuts on your menu.

We guarantee customer satisfaction with Kurobuta Berkshire LLC products.

Kurobuta Berkshire LLC
51600 295th Street
Austin, MN 55912

Phone: 507-440-6685
Fax: 800-507-0757
[email protected]

Industry Links
National Pork Producers Council
http://www.nppc.org

National Pork Board
http://pork.org
http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com