• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What to do with all the ash...

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The other day, when I was going out to dump the ash pan on my UDS. I stopped and looked at the large pile of ash I have managed to aquire. :shock: And this question occurred to me, What do people do with their ash? I know there are those out there that use their smokers almost everyday if not everyday and must be producing quite a bit of ash. So, where does it go or what can be done with it?:confused:

Trash. I still dump somewhere in the yard on occasion, but I always come to regret it later.

Great question. I'm curious to see the answers. I'm sure there has to be a more ecologically friendly thing to do with ash than simply bag it up and throw it in the trash can, but I don't know what it is...

I add my ash to my yard waste and kitchen scrap composters.

I dump my kettle ashes in the trash mostly. Funny you bring this up because yesterday afternoon while mowing the backyard I ran over two old ash piles and I created a smoke screen where no one could see me for a while. I felt like a ninja. I think I'll just keep throwing it in the trash from now on. :laugh:

I use mine often and haven't had a problem with disposing of it. I just dump it in with all my other garbage. I suppose one could mix it with their compost if you were to have one.
Lump or natural briq's produce less ash than say Original K. I mix Royal Oak and Stumps and usually have no more than a quart or two of ash after a full 12-16 hour cook.

I make a big pile under a pine tree in my back yard and my chickens like to lie in it and take ash baths. It's good for them in keeping parasites away. I've never tried it. Sometimes I put ashes in the garden around tomato plants or mix it in potting soil for container plants.

Take it to the city dump? What I do is the same thing as Biga, I throw mine on the back yard in the sandy area!

I just dump in the trash AFTER it cools. I have a neighbor who recently got a built in fire pizza oven in his back yard. Apparently he didn't wait for the coals to cool and just put them directly in the large plastic garbage container and put it on the street because the next morning was trash day. When I was leaving for work the next day and passed by his house I saw him scraping melted plastic mixed with trash off of the street. It was pretty hilarious!!

I use it in my compost pile, ever since I started doing this, the raccoons leave the pile alone and I do not find food scraps scattered all over.

The ash can go in compost or be mixed into potting/garden soil.

And Smitty, I had a roommate do that once - we still tell the story about it years later.

Looks like it is a good thing we have a large garden and chickens. Haven't been dumping them in the yard but a spot near the woods. Yes, I always make sure they have been cooled for atleast a day or so. I had thrown them in the trash before but, figured there had to be something useful to do with them.

i mainly put mine in the yard, heard it was good for the soil. times i put it in the trash also :p:p

ash

I either leave it by my grills cause it's so muddy there or I dump them in our fire pit.

Jason

Wait for a windy day - throw it up in the air - let neighbors worry about it.

Back