MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Grilled Chicken Wild Rice Soup

I CHEATED!
and
Sorry for the lack of pron.

Those two things being said, as soon as Friday hits, I'm tired of being stuck at work for dinner the previous 2 nights and really want to cook. Of course, if I can manage to sneak in some grilling in the process, it's a bonus I'm willing to accept. Lately I was on a quest to empty out my freezer and, unfortunately, I've done a bit of too good a job of doing so. When I looked yesterday morning I had 6 packs of breakfast sausage (they were on sale for $1 each! ), 5 packs of chicken parts (legs and thighs that were on sale for $1.05/lb! ), two turkey legs, some miscellaneous packs of bacon, and a 1/3 of a bag of the thinnest chicken breasts you've ever seen. Naturally two things jumped out at me, we either had to have breakfast for dinner (always a winner.) or, we had to have some form of chicken. Now, wanting to grill, the decision was quickly narrowed down to chicken, however, I didn't want to have to use patience and wait an hour for dinner to be done so, I opted for the chicken breasts.

When I got home from work that night, I decided that I didn't mind cooking dinner but, I wanted it done fast and minimal dishes to clean up afterwards. Then it dawned on me. We hadn't had soup in awhile. After rummaging through the cupboards I quickly realized that not only was my freezer getting light on variety but, my pantry as well. That's when I came across a bag of "ShoreLunch" brand "Creamy wild rice" soup mix. Perfect!

I put the water on to boil up for the soup, and fired up the grill. The soup said it would take 20 minutes to cook after the water came to a boil and, figuring the chicken would only take about 10 minutes to cook over direct heat. It looked like everything would get done about the same time. After 10 minutes the water was boiling and the chimney full of coals was ready to go. The soup mix got whisked in and the coals got dropped into the grill. I gave the grill a little under 10 minutes to get hot and then on went the chicken. The chicken was so thin, I don't think it even took 6 minutes before most of them were golden.

The chicken was sliced up fajita style and thrown into the soup. The soup cooked for another couple of minutes and then it was ready to serve.

I felt like a cheater, having not made the soup from scratch but, this was pure awesome comfort food. The family loved it and I like the "grilled" flavor the chicken brought to the soup. The best parts were, only one pan, some bowls, spoons, and cups had to be washed and, there was enough leftover for lunch!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It sure looks tasty, cheating or not.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
nitelightboy
Knows what a fatty is.

It doesn't matter if you cheat, as long as the family enjoys the eats.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelightboy View Post
It doesn't matter if you cheat, as long as the family enjoys the eats.
i agree with ya on that

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Looks tasty. Cheating especially on week nights is allowable.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wish I had cheated like that...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote