MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

I don't do a lot of big cooks either but I want the option to do so if needed, I went with the 22 and have no regrets. There's plenty of mods out there but none that are must do's. I've had mine for a couple of years now and haven't done anything to it but put a nice layer of gunk on the insides of the thing.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Papillon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmonro View Post
Thank you all for the help in deciding. Now to convince the wife. Any major downfalls with the WSM? Also, are there any must do mods before use?
If you are going to burn lump you will need a second charcoal grate set perpendicular to the first. It keeps the small pieces of lump from falling through the grate. I suggest using using "hardwood" briquettes such as Subbs brand. I get more consistent and longer burn. Also foil wrap your water pan for easier clean up..
Papillon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I have both as well and plan on getting the 14.5 model when its out in 2014

Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I cant see how its not the best smoker in that price range. There is no better cooker in that price range!!!!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Permission???

I really don't get this whole "ask permission" thing.

Unless she is co-signing a note for the WSM I say buy it "for us" (no permission needed) and get smoking.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
Marrs
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
If you are going to burn lump you will need a second charcoal grate set perpendicular to the first. It keeps the small pieces of lump from falling through the grate.

^^^^ second the grate suggestion. Use U-Bolts and you'll have handles to manage it with. I have the cajun bandit door and am glad I do.

WSM 22.5 modified, Mini WSM. 22.5 OTG. Genesis Silver. Flowerpot Tandoor 19. Proud Supporter of Operation BBQ Relief!

Last edited by Marrs; 08-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: remove extra word.
Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I have two 18.5" WSMs. I only have tow of the same because I found a good deal on a used on on craigslist and didnt want to spend the money on a 22.5. If you are going to only have one, get the 22.5. You will be sorry (as i was) if you get the 18.5 and then want to cook for more people. For instance with rib racks, I can only get about 8 racks on one 18.5". Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
nachos4life
Take a breath!

18.5 is great for what i do. I will likely get another or a 22.5 at some point. Super satisfied with the WSM though.
nachos4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
asmonro
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I really don't get this whole "ask permission" thing.

Unless she is co-signing a note for the WSM I say buy it "for us" (no permission needed) and get smoking.
Happy wife, happy life. Its going to happen but if its her idea I spend less time in the doghouse.
asmonro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmonro View Post
Happy wife, happy life. Its going to happen but if its her idea I spend less time in the doghouse.
Very well put. This is Chess not Checkers. My wife has been in Paradise now on 38 years.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

No must do mods but there are many possible mods to consider. You can use it right out of the box. You don't even need a break in cook!

It may tend to run hot the first few cooks until sufficient gunk builds up to get a good seal on the joints so plan your cooks accordingly.

Drawbacks? Not good if you're trying to lose weight.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Drawbacks? Not good if you're trying to lose weight.
+1!!

I'm currently on a diet and have lost 102lbs as of today. But my 22.5 WSM has been leaving ominous notes on my door and at night I can hear scratches on my bedroom window.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #28
pigout sc
On the road to being a farker

I have the 22.5 and like it ok. IF I could do it over again I would spend more money and get an egg or other ceramic grill and be done with it, this way you can smoke, bake, Grill etc and have a lifetime warranty to boot. Just my 2 cents
pigout sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

You can't go wrong with either size. I prefer the 22.5 just for the additional capacity.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #30
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

I got the 22 and I think like pigout. If I could do it all over again I would have went with an egg. Next spring I will have an XL BGE on my back porch!!