pork butt drippings

I

IRubMyMeat BBQ

I always have a pan under my pulled pork while smoking with apple juice in it and the pan always burns the drippings in it. i am wondering if anyone uses the drippings from the pork and is there a way i can keep the pan from burning the drippings. i would like to use the drippings to pour over the pork after it is done smoking thinking that will add alot of taste to it. has anyone used the drippings? did it work well? how cn i keep the drippings from burning?

ps. i put the pork on a v rack over a pan on top of a place setter on my BGE

just put some water in the pan, when its done, just reduce the drippings for gravy.

Put your Butts IN a pan. You will have plenty of juice (Au Jus) to blend a little back on your pork when you pull it.

I have done it both ways. If you have problems with it burning, make sure there is water in the pan at all times. The drippings will not burn until all of the water boils out, so dont let that happen.

I take the drippings and add a shot of bbq sauce, some red pepper flakes, coarse ground black pepper, and a shot of cider vinegar in a pot and reduce on the stove. Makes the best friggin sauce for sandwiches.

I haven't saved drippings yet, but while in North Carolina, I had some of the best Eastern N.C. 'Q, and the owner said that the vinegar dip should be "cut with the drippings of the hog." Most around here prefer red sauce, so it hasn't been a priority.

Back