MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #8956
DVBBQ
Got Wood.

Just finished building my first UDS! This thread was a wealth of infomation! Will post some pron this week!
DVBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #8957
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingj View Post
What department did you find those in? I likey, no rust and they look sharp. Def. would compliment the brass ball valve.
LOWES in the plumbing across the aisle from the black and galvanized pipe. They have a display of various brass fittings. Easy to find. Home Depot should have them also.

Last edited by Lawdog's Smokewagon; 12-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: misspell
Lawdog's Smokewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #8958
10_Bears
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVBBQ View Post
Just finished building my first UDS! This thread was a wealth of infomation! Will post some pron this week!
Good work, cant wait for the pron, always love good pron!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #8959
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
What I have is Stubs lump coals. And I started it the same way I start the KF blue; put some in a chimney, light that and let it stop smoking and flaming, then dump onto unlit coals in the drum. I usually put the flavored wood and meat in the drum right away. Doing that procedure without a doubt creates that nasty smelling smoke.

Bubblehead mentioned to let it burn in the drum for like 15 mins and then it was a clear smoke. I will try it, but I came after 1 hour of my method and still it was nasty smoke. But perhaps Stubs lump coals are not the same as what you are using?

I'm thoroughly confused and can't see how it's possible that there is such variation on people's experience on this.

Are you waiting for the lump coals to be white before cooking?
I usually only load my cookers with Royal Oak Lump (or Best Choice which is the same product packaged for some grocery stores). Like I was saying, I just load it up and stick a torch in the center for a bit (20 seconds-ish) and let it go for a bit, replace the grate and put the lid on. I load the food AFTER the drum is up to temp and the smoke is nice and clean throughout the session.

I hope this makes sense/helps.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #8960
Drunken Monkey
Got rid of the matchlight.

I built my first UDS back in March and haven't been all that thrilled with it. I come from the WSM school of cookers so not having a door was bothering me. I went back and forth with some cool sliding door designs and decided to keep it simple. I used the bottom of the aluminum pot I had removed to make my mini wsm last year. All the hardware was around $8 from Lowes. I used small hinges and tool box type latches. The door seals great and my UDS is now my go to smoker. I also added wheels by attaching 3 all metal casters to the original lid and fitting it to the bottom of the smoker.

The seal is not perfect be good enough. Absolutely zero problems controlling temps. In fact, I think it runs better than it did before.

I love being able to wheel this in and out of the garage.
Drunken Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #8961
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking UDS, the door seems to seal nicely. No stains at the edges.

Enjoy!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #8962
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Default difference in RO or Kingsford

I had been using Kingsford, but at the notification of a brethren member, I found some 16# RO bags at Kmart on sale for $2.49 a bag. I grabbed 10.

At about the same time I added ball valves to all my intakes, and on two I installed the ball valves on top of a 2' pipe riser

And at the same time I bought the RO at Kmart, they also had one of the Weber 18" portable grills, which I then converted to used as a ash pan under my charcoal basket. I drilled 1" holes around it

Now my problem was that suddenly I couldn't get anything higher than 275* with all intakes open. Not bad if you wanted to stay below that temp for a good low and slow smoke. I was going to be smoking a Thanksgiving Turkey, and it needed to be smoking at a more like 350* setting in order to have a crisper skin.

I put a bag of apple wood chips in with my RO and managed to get the temps to 325*, so it did finally get there.

Today I did a beef brisket in 5 1/2 hours. I removed the ash pan, and laid a piece of tinfoil under the basket.

Result --- 400* within an hour. shut down one of the ball valves, and it went to 350*, another valve shut off, it down to 310*, so my control of temps was back by removing the ash pan. I will probably re design it so there isn't so much of a wall blocking the air flow. I still need to be able to easily get the ash out of the bottom of the drum with out a mess.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #8963
Lawdog's Smokewagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankll View Post
I had been using Kingsford, but at the notification of a brethren member, I found some 16# RO bags at Kmart on sale for $2.49 a bag. I grabbed 10.

At about the same time I added ball valves to all my intakes, and on two I installed the ball valves on top of a 2' pipe riser

And at the same time I bought the RO at Kmart, they also had one of the Weber 18" portable grills, which I then converted to used as a ash pan under my charcoal basket. I drilled 1" holes around it

Now my problem was that suddenly I couldn't get anything higher than 275* with all intakes open. Not bad if you wanted to stay below that temp for a good low and slow smoke. I was going to be smoking a Thanksgiving Turkey, and it needed to be smoking at a more like 350* setting in order to have a crisper skin.

I put a bag of apple wood chips in with my RO and managed to get the temps to 325*, so it did finally get there.

Today I did a beef brisket in 5 1/2 hours. I removed the ash pan, and laid a piece of tinfoil under the basket.

Result --- 400* within an hour. shut down one of the ball valves, and it went to 350*, another valve shut off, it down to 310*, so my control of temps was back by removing the ash pan. I will probably re design it so there isn't so much of a wall blocking the air flow. I still need to be able to easily get the ash out of the bottom of the drum with out a mess.
When was that RO on sale? I need me some!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #8964
Lawdog's Smokewagon

Default My NEW UDS Pron

Well here it is, finally finished it friday night after work. Did a seasoning burn same night held it at 350 for about 3 hours then opened it up and let lit burn all night. Was at 100 next morning almost no charcoal left. It has a nice beautiful black coating on the inside now.

First cook today. 5lb boston butt. Put it on about noon held 275 under center of grate for 7 1/2 hours til meat temp hit 195. Rested 30min and pulled. Man I love this smoker. Only a sandwich bag full of meat left after dinner!

Thanks for all the info Brothers in BBQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone 023.jpg (25.3 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 031.jpg (23.0 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 032.jpg (22.8 KB, 795 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 033.jpg (32.1 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 035.jpg (24.1 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 036.jpg (45.9 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 041.jpg (19.2 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 042.jpg (28.1 KB, 795 views)

Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #8965
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Now that a UDS. Roll Tide!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #8966
chobint

Hey guys, I was having trouble for a while getting steady blue smoke output from my smoker and thought I might share a technique I tried recently. In the past I've either found that the fire would burn up my chunks too quickly or would be running too efficiently to get the chunks going properly... so i decided to try this. It burns really hot and blue, with steady smoke output. I've had trouble in the past where the smoke is blue but a little too faint. Does anyone else use a similar technique? I know this is nothing new b/c I stole it from a weber kettle thread.

PS: If anyone has a link to the weber thread I'd love to see it again.

The coffee can is empty.
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #8967
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is no such thing as too faint of smoke. Your smoke should almost be clear.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #8968
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey View Post
I built my first UDS back in March and haven't been all that thrilled with it. I come from the WSM school of cookers so not having a door was bothering me..
O.K.
Door not necessary.
Door WILL leak therefore defeating the point.
Why would you need a door on a cooker that will run 14+ hrs?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #8969
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I don't miss the door on my ECB either. My UDS rocks.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #8970
chobint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
There is no such thing as too faint of smoke. Your smoke should almost be clear.
If you are using flash photography for a night picture and still have to squint to see the smoke, then its too faint.
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker