MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rehabbing a neglected performer

I've recently rescued a Weber Performer that has been sitting outside in the fog and rain for a few years. Fortunately, it was under a cover, so it's in pretty good shape. There was some ash in the kettle, so there's a lot of rust on the grates, and some in the kettle itself. Perhaps the biggest concern is a ring of rust along the bottom of the kettle lid, where it sits on the lower rim.

I know a lot of the Brethren have experience with rehabbing CL finds, so I was hoping for guidance on a few points:

1) What's the best way to clean up heavily rusted grill and charcoal grates? Should I use cleaners? Or just scrub away? I think some people let them soak in various cleaners and/or water. Any ideas?

2) Is there anything I can do about the rust on the lid that won't damage the enamel?

3) Is there anything I can/should do about the rust inside the kettle? It's by no means rusting through, there are just a few orange spots.

Thanks in advance!
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
shazam
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i use a product you should be able to find at home depot called cleen strip phosphoric prep and etch to remove rust. $15/gal. good for old rusty tools also. not sure how it would affect the porcelain coating on the lid and bowl though. you might try leaving a rag soaked in some on a small test area. just till the rust is gone. same for tools. sort of leaves a parkerized type finish and helps protect from further rust.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam View Post
i use a product you should be able to find at home depot called cleen strip phosphoric prep and etch to remove rust. $15/gal. good for old rusty tools also. not sure how it would affect the porcelain coating on the lid and bowl though. you might try leaving a rag soaked in some on a small test area. just till the rust is gone. same for tools. sort of leaves a parkerized type finish and helps protect from further rust.
Thanks for the advice. Is that going to be food safe on the cooking grate?
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
realspaazz
Take a breath!

For the cooking grates, i give them a good brushing with a wire brush, rub them down with vinegar a time or two, then coat them up with vegetable oil and start a nice fire to "season" them a little oil on the grates each time I cook keeps them well seasoned.
I had a few inside surface rust spots on my WSM when I rescued it. I just cleaned it up with degreaser (like simple green) rinsed it out well and coated it with vegetable oil. No recurring rust in two + years.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

for rust i just use pam to cover it. after a while it gets a nice protective coating.
easy to reapply if it gets burned off.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
shazam
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezmatt View Post
Thanks for the advice. Is that going to be food safe on the cooking grate?
i don't see why not. it's a chemical reaction with the rust. a good rinse and brushing with a steel wire brush should remove anything you may be worried about. of course unless you have other uses for the etch you may just want to put that $15 into a new charcoal grate (about $11) and a new flip-up sides cooking grate (about $18 i think) and be done. z