BSKD Project

stglide

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, I got started today on my Brink SKD, that's been collecting dust for probably 4 years now. Found the Bandera Sticky on here, and a few other posts. I know it's not the best of cookers, but since I had it, figured I would at least start on the mods that were posted.

Got it cleaned up a little, added supports for the fire grate to raise it up. Once fire brick are in (had to order from ACE) there will be 3" of air space. Took grate and built a coal box out of EM, roughly 15" x 15" x 5" tall. Once done, slid it back in the fire box to see how she looked...

Fire brick should be here this week, and need to cut my baffle for the smoke box. Got some 1/4" Rutland Rope that I hope use to seal up my smoke box door. I know some have taken High Temp Silicone along w/ wax or parchment paper, or even Blue Painters tape, to create a seal. Just not sure how that was done, or pics to show how, so will try the other first....

Here are a few pics...

Attachments

• BSKD.JPG
    BSKD.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Elevated Grate.JPG
    Elevated Grate.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Coal Basket.JPG
    Coal Basket.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Basket in Firebox.JPG
    Basket in Firebox.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 109
  • From Fire Door.JPG
    From Fire Door.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Into smoke box.JPG
    Into smoke box.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 109
Raising the fire grate, adding thermal mass with the fire bricks and directing the heat from the fire box are the 3 mods that made the greatest improvements for me.

A baffle is nice. I've had severa,l but burned them all up. A hot clean burning fire from that fire box is pretty intense if you want to burn a clean fire. I have resorted to foiling the water bowl hangers on the fire box side of the smoke chamber. It lasts for several cook sessions.

Wrapping the fire bricks with aluminum foil helps with clean up. When it's time to clean, trash the old and in with the new. That bit of advice came from a good friend. :wink:

Raising the fire grate, adding thermal mass with the fire bricks and directing the heat from the fire box are the 3 mods that made the greatest improvements for me.

A baffle is nice. I've had severa,l but burned them all up. A hot clean burning fire from that fire box is pretty intense if you want to burn a clean fire. I have resorted to foiling the water bowl hangers on the fire box side of the smoke chamber. It lasts for several cook sessions.

Wrapping the fire bricks with aluminum foil helps with clean up. When it's time to clean, trash the old and in with the new. That bit of advice came from a good friend. :wink:

Thanks Kevin!
Any chance you could post a pic or two of your smoke box, and your foiling? If not, no biggie, but always do better w/ pics to have it in my head. :doh:

Back