Propfrwrd

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Sold the 18.5 and got a new to me 22.5 WSM. No room for a Performer or One Touch on my tiny deck, and although a Primo XL might be in the works next year (after I dump the Genesis gasser), I'd like to do my grilling on charcoal when possible.

My query:

Who uses their WSM to grill, and how do you set it up? Charcoal ring or not? Grate on the lower section or keep the middle section on the lower grate? Grillgrates, Craycourt, etc?

I used the 18.5 with the ring, on the lower section and was not thrilled.

I'm sure it can be done, but remember the WSM is a smoker, not a grill.

I would put a chimney of lit charcoal in the ring and set one of the cooking grates on the charcoal ring.

You can balance the lid on the bowl if you need a cover.

Yea it can be done...Thoey did a version of it.

Weber would NEVER make one that smokes grills sears all in one because it's not in their best interest.

I don't have one and I have never even seen one up close and all personal like and I didn't sleep at the Holiday inn either, However....I would think you should be able to remove the door from the center section to get some air flow and use the tube as a base to sit the fire box in so you don't break your achin farkin back while you roastin a weenie over some hot coals. IDK. Just thinkin out load here.

You need a bigger deck.

wnJJcDF.gif

I used to own a WSM clone and grilled on it all the time but it's really more like slow trilling/fast smoking. No different than a UDS really. Just remove the water pan and let 'er rip.

Yep, it can be done. See HERE. Realize, a true BBQ will be better at BBQing and a true smoker will be better at smoking.

yes, it can be done.... but is much easier to get a Jumbo Joe :)

we3.jpg

we6.jpg

we2.jpg

This is why for the 18.5" size i built a big mini...aka Jaime the Jimmy.:-D

...and for the 22.5" the Big Poppa. Nothing makes a better smoker and upright griller/sear machine in one than it does.

These are great, although I believed I solved the problem.... bought a Performer today. Now to tetris it on my little deck.

These are great, although I believed I solved the problem.... bought a Performer today. Now to tetris it on my little deck.

Congrats on the Performer. Better to have a true grill and a true smoker. If my gasser ever dies, I'll probably get a kettle of some sort. But, I am not thinking the Weber Genesis is going any where soon...

Congrats on the Performer. Better to have a true grill and a true smoker. If my gasser ever dies, I'll probably get a kettle of some sort. But, I am not thinking the Weber Genesis is going any where soon...

This is Performer #2. Huge mistake selling #1.

Back