MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Mandalay Bay KCBS Contest

It would be nice if the Brothers could be represented in Vegas the date is Oct. 29 & 30. What if somebody close didn't want to compete but was willing to furnish a smoker and and a team could fly in. Or they could team up together. Just wanted to plant seed and see what happens.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

I went out last year to check it out. Had a good time. Have to check the schedule.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
chad

Already committed to cook offs in October and November - could probably afford to fly out but would wind up sleeping in the cookoff tent!

As everyone should already understand you need a lot more than just a cooker -- tents, tables, cooler, ice, drinks, seasonings, charcoal, wood, water, a place to sleep, entry fees, meat, garnish, food for a couple of days, etc. etc. etc.

My rough estimate for a local cook off is $400.

A national "fly in" team would be great but you better have someone local who at least knows where the grocery store is.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
mook
Full Fledged Farker

HornBri and I have been discussing competing at the Mandalay Bay event. Problem is i would not be able to get him off the tables to cook.

If any brothers are interested in joining us let me know.

Old 07-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
chad

Yep! Lot's of distractions!!

Sure would be fun, though!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
parrothead

If anyone does it, I will make it out there.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #7
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

I would like too. The dates work for me. Mook and I could prolly drive in and bring most of the gear.

I think that event has a chili cook off as well, I may have to try that.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

The Farkin Team Brethren are sweeping the Country!!!
Schedule look good from here too....

Wife just read this post... Shes got friends there...she stays with them. In her words...

We're IN !!!

So if the westcoast chapter will have me... I'm there too.

If we can get 6 or more.. MULTIPLE TEAMS!!!!

This is soo friggin cool!!! and im am psyched.....

In the immortal words of Jim Minion.... he sent me a PM after the grillkings event.....

"In your first competition.. you've were Bitten........ Your Soul is no longer your own. "

JIm.. your so right.. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
david
is one Smokin' Farker

Now that I'm working I might be able to get down there. My sister lives in vegas, and we've never visited, so it might be time for a trip.
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I'll be there, i was planning to judge, but i would rather team up with some Brothers.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera

Old 07-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
HornBri and I have been discussing competing at the Mandalay Bay event. Problem is i would not be able to get him off the tables to cook.

If any brothers are interested in joining us let me know.
I'm definitely interested. Maybe we could put together a West Coast team!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I won't be there.

Halloween Mod.

Its still too important for my kids.

And don't let Phil fool you. He won't be there either. If there is one holiday he needs to spend at home, it is Halloween

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #13
JacksonsDad
On the road to being a farker

Man, a chance to meet some of the Brethren, Q, and gambling...I wish I could go. I am already on a plane that weekend for Denver to watch my Longhorns stomp all of over CU....

We must insist on 1) a full report and 2) pictures! Hey, we need someone designated as the "roving reporter" who will post information at the end of the each day!

Instead if the quote from the great movie Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come!" I propose a new slogan, "Smoke it, and they will come!" I'll leave any interpretations of that left you y'alls imaginations, I am sure some one will chime in with some thoughts!....

Hook 'em Horns!
JacksonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 02:41 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

sh*t, bills right.. I read this as Oct 2 & 3..in fact, just told John its the 2 & 3... and he has a wedding... If I would have read it right, i would have bills same response.

Ya see.... only reason I would have to be here is for the kids and sharon(halloween is her holiday)... So I just said "Sharon, vegas competition is day before halloween"
her response...."Halloween in Vegas?? sounds good to me!!"

So Im still in.

But that don't mean I can't fly home Saturday after the competition if they brothers dont mind cleanin up. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 03:31 PM   #15
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
sh*t, bills right.. I read this as Oct 2 & 3..in fact, just told John its the 2 & 3... and he has a wedding... If I would have read it right, i would have bills same response.

Ya see.... only reason I would have to be here is for the kids and sharon(halloween is her holiday)... So I just said "Sharon, vegas competition is day before halloween"
her response...."Halloween in Vegas?? sounds good to me!!"

So Im still in.

But that don't mean I can't fly home Saturday after the competition if they brothers dont mind cleanin up. :)
No problem Phil i'll help clean up,it's only a 5hr. drive for me, i probably won't come home until Sunday anyway.