MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #136
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
If you're entering these things because you WANT to win you're screwed from the very start. You've got to do these Throwdowns because it's a fun challenge.

Do I think I came up with an amazing idea? You bet I do. Do I think I'm going to win? Nope, I don't. It was about coming up with flavors and ideas and challenging myself.

Give it a try...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Couldn't have said this better. I probably would have given up entering in these a long time ago if I was really serious about winning (because I haven't even come close). It's all about the fun and stretching yourself.
Exactly, and the both of you have submitted entries that I would have thought would win, and I was very surprised one of my wins even got a vote (I liked the entry but there were so many better choices that TD IMO). I never think about winning. Not the point. I like having my imagination stretched, especially when I have to re-think an idea when someone beats me to a post. Which both these gentlemen have done BTW.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #137
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Is this where I am supposed to apologize because I want to win? Just checking.....
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #138
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Q View Post
Is this where I am supposed to apologize because I want to win? Just checking.....
No apologies necessary. You're from Texas. Bless your heart.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #139
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
No apologies necessary. You're from Texas. Bless your heart.
I would also like to apologize because I don't like cats.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #140
BBQ Grail

Quote:
I want to win too! It's just not WHY I do this...

Quote:
I hate cats...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #141
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Quote:
This is a Throwdown thread, no apologies necessary. The ultimate reward is to win. Or get a legitimate Zero. Neither of which I have been able to acheive.

Oh, and you aren't alone in your dislike for cats.
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #142
deguerre

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I want to win too! It's just not WHY I do this...

I hate cats...

Oooooohhhhhh, but kittie wuvs youz!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #143
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Oh, and you aren't alone in your dislike for cats.
Kittie wuvs bears too!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #144
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Kittie wuvs bears too!
Bears don't dislike cats, but Bear's dog does.

I know, you were waiting for "tastes just like chicken"...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #145
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I hate it when you change the rules in the middle. I would have used dough in a box instead of a can. But my entry is cooking right now. Can't wait to see Sharon's reaction when she gets home.

Bill good luck with the fishin.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #146
landarc

I made that change for people that cannot get 'dough in a tube', which apparently is limited to people who live in Canada. 'Dough in a tube' is the point of the challenge.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #147
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I really enjoy these. I've entered not expecting to win. But man, loosing sucks!

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #148
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Quote:
I'm not sure if I like cats or not. I've never knowingly eaten one,,,,
Ok I'm off to the penalty box,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #149
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1912 View Post
I'm not sure if I like cats or not. I've never knowingly eaten one,,,,
Ok I'm off to the penalty box,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Line of the Day!!!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #150
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default Pie in a Pot

For me this was a hard one. I don't get along with dough very well. In fact the very first success I had was with Ecode's buns.

I got a cast iron pot for XMAS and after seasoning it, I have been itching to use it. For me, this is a first time ever for this kind of meal.

Here is a pic of most of the ingredients cause I always wing it with something new.

Chicken, dough in a can, limes, peanuts, mushrooms, and andouille sausage. I thought that would be good to start with.

The day before, I smoked two chickens. Here they are, prepped and cooked.

About three hours on the WSM, rubbed with yardbird, and Mesquite for flavor.

Someday I am going to enter a comp and use sliced breast, cause this bird was tender and juicy.

OK back to the Pie. I am not allowed to eat nuts, so I ground them up as fine as I could with the mortor & pestal. I think that is better than using a machine because it keeps the oil in the mix.

I put one can of dough in the bottom of the pot. Need to figure a better way to do that.

Then I sliced the andouille and covered the dough. Then a nice thick layer of smoked chicken, mushrooms, and the ground peanuts. Then squeezed the juice of one lime over that.

Hmmmm? need to do something here or I'm in trouble. EGGS!! That will hold it together. I used six eggs with some milk and just dumped it in. That should work.

Now to cover it. I took the second can of dough and this time I put it in a ball and tried to roll it out with a pin. That was not perfect, but at least it seemed to be the same thickness all over. Here it is.

I had some coals ready on the Performer, so I move them out to the outer edges and put the CI pot in the center and closed the lid. Fast forward 45 minutes.

Golden brown.

About this time Sharon walked in the door and wanted to know what I was cooking. I told her it was a throwdown dinner. To my surprise, she thought it was kind of different. It seems she likes it when I surprise her with a new dish. Are you ready for this?

Chris, please use this pic.

The pie came right out of the new pot, no sticking!

I could have taken it off the fire just a little sooner, but this was delish. The nuts gave it just a little crunch and there was just a hint of the lime. Of course the andouille and smoked chicken blended perfectly.

I had fun, learned something, and we had a great dinner too.

Hope I win!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PECANS ARE PEANUTS TOO, Pick me! Pick me!, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread