• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Cook on Weber OTP - MOINK Balls

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I finally got around to firing up my Weber OTP that found on craigslist.

I decided to give the first cook honors to some MOINK balls:
IMG_7219.jpg

Got my gasser involved by lighting the Kingsford:
IMG_7222.jpg

Got the OTP going (and the XL Egg going for another purpose - unfortunately it wasn't worth pron):
IMG_7227.jpg

Finished MOINK balls (minus some early taste tests):
IMG_7228.jpg

Overall the OTP was pretty nice to operate. This is my first kettle ever and I'm looking forward to using it some more.

Very nice. I broke in my grill with some MOINK balls yesterday as well. Looks like you tried some different rubs. Any report on your taste-test?

Very nice. I broke in my grill with some MOINK balls yesterday as well. Looks like you tried some different rubs. Any report on your taste-test?

Good observation. Yes, I was conducting a taste test of rubs. Fellow brethren martyleach and I initially had difficulty distinguishing one over another as the flavor of the sauce overwhelmed the rubs. A little later after they cooled off, my wife and I were able to tell the DP Pineapple Head was a little sweeter I think due to the turbinado sugar in its contents. IMO, the extra sweetness wasn't really needed. Although the two Simply Marvelous rubs (Cherry and Sweet & Spicy) are clearly different rubs, we really couldn't tell one from another this time.

I normally dust the MOINKs with both SM products and I think I should just stick with that as my go-to combo.

They look great John :thumb: Let me know if you grow tired of the Kettle, I would be more than happy to give it a new home :becky: Share some info about the contents of the BGE, experimental?

They look great John :thumb: Let me know if you grow tired of the Kettle, I would be more than happy to give it a new home :becky: Share some info about the contents of the BGE, experimental?
Yeah, I made some pulled pork pockets that were inspired by a Patio Daddio post.
Mine came out "OK" but I had my baking stone a little too hot & the bottoms were a little over baked.
I mainly wanted to test to see if I could do something like this at the upcoming Eggfest in June.
I don't see myself doing these as I won't have easy access to a sink & I made quite a mess.

Good observation. Yes, I was conducting a taste test of rubs. Fellow brethren martyleach and I initially had difficulty distinguishing one over another as the flavor of the sauce overwhelmed the rubs. A little later after they cooled off, my wife and I were able to tell the DP Pineapple Head was a little sweeter I think due to the turbinado sugar in its contents. IMO, the extra sweetness wasn't really needed. Although the two Simply Marvelous rubs (Cherry and Sweet & Spicy) are clearly different rubs, we really couldn't tell one from another this time.

I normally dust the MOINKs with both SM products and I think I should just stick with that as my go-to combo.

Although I wasn't able to pick out the different rubs, it may have been because I wouldn't wait for them to cool down and fried my tongue. Why do I always do that?? But they were still excellent!

Looks good John, MOINK balls are always an appropriate way to break in a kettle.

Back