• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How not to cook IBCA ribs!:)

Spill the beans.

Under done?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my butt the judges handed me after trying my ribs!:redface::laugh:

You should know by now that you guys don't cook Butts in IBCA, sheesh.

Spill the beans.

Under done?

You should know by now that you guys don't cook Butts in IBCA, sheesh.

Undercooked, which I was afraid of being used to KCBS and not cooking IBCA for years. I backed off on the flavor profile too, trying to stand out with a more balanced flavor from the seasoning and wood choice. So, I turned in KCBS textured, low flavor ribs, in Texas.

I made REALLY bad choices as a cook, and tried to outthink the rest of the field. I'm not that smart:becky: If I'd cooked the flavor profile I had in mind three days earlier I would have been much better off.

Thanks Jorge. I agree. Sticking to what you know is always the best strategy in BBQ. Only introduce a new recipe at comp after it has been tested...then tested some more.

In defence of George, I thought the ribs were excellent. They just were not "Tony Roma" done and may have needed a bit more heat. I gave them a 9 because they were pretty and had a good 'eatin' flavor.

Now my "obie" que chicken was a good example of no flavor and no way to cook chicken. Be a fact I gave it away because my family would not touch it.

If anyone wants a class in how not to do it, give me a call.

Lesson #1) Don't think! Just cook!:laugh:

I would venture a guess that 80% of the time I've failed in cookoffs it was
due to this very thing (over-thought). Most of the time, if you just do
what you do best, you'll do fine. It's when you get *creative* that
everything seems to get farked up.

Lesson #2) RELAX.

Wow sounds like I need to give someone a pep talk... role reversal.

I know you know this but ill say it anyway, Never forget the judges can't touch the meat and they have a cheap plastic knife and fork to taste the food with. That helps keep everything in perspective as far as tenderness is concerned. Flavor is something else. I've seen tough ribs hit very high because they had great flavor.

I know you know this but ill say it anyway, Never forget the judges can't touch the meat and they have a cheap plastic knife and fork to taste the food with. That helps keep everything in perspective as far as tenderness is concerned. Flavor is something else. I've seen tough ribs hit very high because they had great flavor.

They can't touch the BBQ? Wow never realized that. So I guess it does make sense you have to cook the ribs a tad longer... thanks for the heads up.

I think if you have a good balance in taste and tenderness you will always get good scores. I mean it's tough trying to please every judges profile at a table. No matter what there will be someone who prefers smokey over sweet, and another who prefers a ton of flavor over natural smokey goodness. That's why they toss out the top and low scores.

well, Jorge, sounds like you have another think coming!

Sorry that you now have to hand carry your butt. Hope you figure out what to do with it soon, as it's gonna start stinkin' soon :)

Better results next time!

I think they sell a sling for folks to carry there butts around in. At least that's what I heard. Jorge, Google "my butts in a sling" you should find something.

Back